2 ducks (drakes?) fighting

Hey y’all I’m new here. We have backyard ducks. I read a bunch of the comments and threads about the drakes fighting. We are also fairly new duck owners. Our two drakes are about 6 months old. We bought them together when they were babies. They’ve always loved each other, now suddenly they are fighting. I’m so worried about them. They are pulling each other’s chest feathers. I never really found a consensus on 1) should we separate them? 2) should we add a female? 3) when exactly is mating season? Anything you can offer will be much appreciated.

Hey y’all I’m new here. We have backyard ducks. I read a bunch of the comments and threads about the drakes fighting. We are also fairly new duck owners. Our two drakes are about 6 months old. We bought them together when they were babies. They’ve always loved each other, now suddenly they are fighting. I’m so worried about them. They are pulling each other’s chest feathers. I never really found a consensus on 1) should we separate them? 2) should we add a female? 3) when exactly is mating season? Anything you can offer will be much appreciated.
NO FEMALE!! all ducks fight to decide who is the dominant duck. drakes will settle down after this but if you add females they’ll continue to fight for her and eventually kill her or each other. you will also need atleast 4 hens for 2 drakes.

NO FEMALE!! all ducks fight to decide who is the dominant duck. drakes will settle down after this but if you add females they’ll continue to fight for her and eventually kill her or each other. you will also need atleast 4 hens for 2 drakes.
Alright, then we will wait this out. Thank you!

no problem! also you can get bird toys and even plastic baby toys to put in their pens to distract them and keep them entertained (sometimes ducks will get bored especially in winter and that’s why they could be fighting)
Oh my goodness, toys? Can you give me some examples?

Oh my goodness, toys? Can you give me some examples?
food related toys - treat square basket for chickens (filled with lettuce or veggies because ducks can’t break the actual square treat), treat ball for dogs filled with bugs or veggies, egg carton filled with treats

other toys - bird toys from petco, plastic baby toys, mirrors, bells, balls, stuffed animals (to cuddle), and pet safe strings

if they never had toys before they will take a few days to get used to them but will start to love them

From all the reading I’m doing, I thought I had 2 males and 2 females when we first got our ducks and it turns out there’s 3 males and one female. Two of my drakes are fighting with each other, as soon as they see the other they go after him. My Khaki Campbell, Chocolate, has taken to attacking my Cayuga-Midnight (he’s twice his size), my Mallard-Half-pint (half his size) and even my one female, Pekin-Goldie. My husband put Chocolate inside after watching how he aggressively goes after the other ducks, he doesn’t want any of the other ducks around Goldie. It seemed early on Goldie had taken a shine to Midnight and all was fine, then Chocolate would just climb on her and force himself, which I hated seeing. My Mallard tried to get on her once and she knocked him off lol...so he doesn’t bother. Him & Chocolate used to be like Tom & Jerry, now Chocolate acts like he’s an enemy. We have 17 eggs incubating and hopefully, all goes well, and there’s some females in there...I just don’t know what to do with my MMA Duck, Chocolate? We love all four of them and I couldn’t bare to give any of them away. The other three get along fine together, as long as Chocolate is not around to fight with them. Any suggestions? I have looked into buying adult female ducks but didn’t realize they were $25 each, our four were orphaned. I’m worried it’s going to be a situation where I have to rehome Chocolate, which would break my heart 💔

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 1
From all the reading I’m doing, I thought I had 2 males and 2 females when we first got our ducks and it turns out there’s 3 males and one female. Two of my drakes are fighting with each other, as soon as they see the other they go after him. My Khaki Campbell, Chocolate, has taken to attacking my Cayuga-Midnight (he’s twice his size), my Mallard-Half-pint (half his size) and even my one female, Pekin-Goldie. My husband put Chocolate inside after watching how he aggressively goes after the other ducks, he doesn’t want any of the other ducks around Goldie. It seemed early on Goldie had taken a shine to Midnight and all was fine, then Chocolate would just climb on her and force himself, which I hated seeing. My Mallard tried to get on her once and she knocked him off lol...so he doesn’t bother. Him & Chocolate used to be like Tom & Jerry, now Chocolate acts like he’s an enemy. We have 17 eggs incubating and hopefully, all goes well, and there’s some females in there...I just don’t know what to do with my MMA Duck, Chocolate? We love all four of them and I couldn’t bare to give any of them away. The other three get along fine together, as long as Chocolate is not around to fight with them. Any suggestions? I have looked into buying adult female ducks but didn’t realize they were $25 each, our four were orphaned. I’m worried it’s going to be a situation where I have to rehome Chocolate, which would break my heart 💔
I really think the only thing you can do if you want to keep them all is add about 9 more females and see how it works. If you are hatching out 17 eggs be prepared to rehome all of them that end up being boys.

I really think the only thing you can do if you want to keep them all is add about 9 more females and see how it works. If you are hatching out 17 eggs be prepared to rehome all of them that end up being boys.
Yeah I’m already working on getting rid of the male ducks and have a few takers. My husband wants to make Chocolate a house duck now. I don’t know if it’s mating season or hormones... I just know Midnight will end up killing Chocolate or Chocolate killing Goldie. We’re still learning with the ducks; they’re about 8 months old.

Back
Top Bottom