1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 eggs at 22 weeks. Since then? Nothing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 100AcreFarm, Oct 27, 2009.

1. 100AcreFarm

100AcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    One of my BA's laid a small brown egg 2 days in a row. That was on Sept 29 and 30. Since then my Ameraucana's have averaged almost 2 purty little green eggs per day but I've never seen a BA egg since those first 2. [​IMG]

What gives?? They were 22 weeks when they first laid and now it's been a full month and nothing? Is this normal? They eat layer mash (about 19% protein I think) and have calcium and grit on demand as well as a bit of free ranging in the evenings. I suppose they could be laying out in the yard somewhere but they seem most concerned with grass and bugs and running to see what someone else found that might be worth stealing!

My husband says he's going to hang a frying pan in their coop for decoration but tell them that SOMETHING is going in this pan and it's their choice as to what that might be! [​IMG] I love that man!

2. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I vote for the frying pan decoration. [​IMG]

Love to see what others say too.

3. g_a_brand

g_a_brand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    Yours and my hubby must be talking [​IMG]
    our white rocks will be 25 weeks old this thursday and still no eggs [​IMG]
    hubby goes out to the coop every few days and ask's the girls " where are my eggs !!" he wants to put a frying pan on the wall too.

Im tired of waiting for eggs, my younger girls ( 16 weeks old RIR ) have more red in their face's than the older girls. grrrrrr where are my eggs [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 100AcreFarm

100AcreFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Mine are bright red in every place red is supposed to happen. I wonder if all that red is because they're embarrassed about their lack of production! Lazy featherbrains. They show no sign of getting down to business. And, yes, I'm sure I don't have roosters. I've seen pictures of BA roo's and these aren't it.

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

One of mine has done that too... don't know WHEN the next egg might come.

6. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    There's a reason we call our flock the Chicken Nugget Gang. It's a little reminder that eggs aren't the only thing they can provide for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by