2 eggs out of 9 chickens

marine43

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 27, 2013
Hi all :) Well I finally broke down and bought a dozen eggs. Very frustrated with my "girls"
barnie.gif
Been getting just 2 eggs a day for month or more. I have a bulb in coop on from 4:00 am till 8pm. They have 16 % layer feed PLUS canned dog food on side most days. They all have nice full red combs. None seem to be molting. Plenty of clean water, and have a very large fenced in yard to range around in. I even put drapes over the laying boxes last week ,to make them darker. They ARE all over 2 years old, but figured they would be good for at least another couple years. That killing cone is becoming an option I don't really want to go to yet. Anything I am missing??? Thanks to all and God bless.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

At this age, it's perfectly normal for them to take the winter off. Mine start tapering off about now until I'm getting nothing. I try to have new pullets coming into point of lay so I get eggs all winter. Your mature ladies will take the winter off and resume laying in the spring.

It's common for them to stop laying in their second autumn and each thereafter. After molt, they'll resume after winter solstice or after adding light.
You only need the light in the morning. I wouldn't use it till you're sure they're done molting because it won't make a difference.

They aren't molting now , actually I don't think they ever did! Guess I will wait and see.... Thanks!

Yeah, but they haven't layed all summer! I understand the winter "lay off" but these girls shut down early this spring!

Well then that is another problem. All birds will molt by their second autumn.

Something else is going on. If 16% protein chicken feed makes up at least 90% of their intake we have to look at something else.

I don't think you said what breed/s you have.

Hi all :) Well I finally broke down and bought a dozen eggs. Very frustrated with my "girls"
barnie.gif
Been getting just 2 eggs a day for month or more. I have a bulb in coop on from 4:00 am till 8pm. They have 16 % layer feed PLUS canned dog food on side most days. They all have nice full red combs. None seem to be molting. Plenty of clean water, and have a very large fenced in yard to range around in. I even put drapes over the laying boxes last week ,to make them darker. They ARE all over 2 years old, but figured they would be good for at least another couple years. That killing cone is becoming an option I don't really want to go to yet. Anything I am missing??? Thanks to all and God bless.
smile.png
Lock em up!....only way to know for sure.

But the new curtains will take some getting used to.

They are a mix Rhode island whites 2 , Rhode island reds 4 and three Buckeyes, also Rhode island red rooster. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom