*2* eggs per day per chicken??

An oldie but goodie! :>)

In Emergencies/Diseases, etc. you will find this helpful post from KimClain:

I just HAD to go out and do some research on this... I'm finding many mentions of hens laying two eggs per day. Here is the best site I've found...refer to page 8. It IS possible to have two eggs per day.
http://www.spottedcowpress.ca/chapters/02FemaleAnatomy.pdf

Also the Bible of Chicken Raising, by Gail Damerow, latest edition, has an write-up about the phenomenon. I love this sort of stuff which is written by in-depth researchers who have more than just a cursory knowledge of chickens.

Enjoy!

Clare

glad I found this thread, I just watched one of my chickens lay 2 eggs (both nicely shelled) about 6 hours apart. She was on the nest no egg, came out singing the egg song this morning, egg! Then when I went to clean she was not with the others in the yard, hmm I checked th box and she was chilling, I checked under her no egg, I thought mybe she is going broody and I need to get some eggs for her to hatch. But then she comes out and I think a better check...egg. Much lighter than the first with a small smear of blood. I checked her out and she seems to be fine. She is laying smallish brown eggs usually 1 per day.

Apparently not too unusal. We bought 2 sexlinks and 2 silkies on Sunday. Monday: 1 large brown egg (sexlink) and one small white egg (silkie); Tuesday: 1 large brown; Wednesday: 3 large brown! The funy part is we learned from research that the silkies are serious brooders...TRUE! One of the silkies was brooding on all three eggs and she was NOT interested in giving them up...even though she could barely cover them!

It's very rare and can't go on forever.
It takes about 24 hours for the egg to develop so while one is in the shell gland the next would have to have been released into the infundibulum. Not impossible but not likely especially from multiple birds the same day.
Every time I think I get more than one each I remember that I didn't collect at the end of the previous day.

i have one hen that lays 2 per day for at least a month. both eggs are the same size same everything. but she lays the eggs from 8:00 to 11:00, both eggs in that time period.

I have a hen that has been releasing two yolks a day as well. I did some research into this and from what I understand, one of the causes (there are others) for this can be over feeding. Not necessarily fat hens, but over fed hens will release 2 yolks a day. I didn't think I was over feeding/treating my hens however I cut down to one treat a day to see if this theory was true. Sure enough, she stopped laying 2 eggs in one day. She is 2 1/2 and has been doing this for over one year. No more 2 eggs a day. :)

Back
Top Bottom