2 feet of snow, what should I do?

Jackie G

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2020
Hello everyone, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I wasn't sure which one to put it under. But I am here in New York, and we have almost 2 feet of snow. This is my first winter with chickens. It is extremely windy and snow is blowing everywhere. I'm guessing I should leave them in their coop until I can shovel out their run and the snow dies down? I winterized their coop so they will be fine if they need to stay in.

Chickens don't like cold feet,

Seems like I'm posting these old photos a lot lately. This one is from 2012. It was 4 degrees above zero Fahrenheit when I took this one. You can see where I knocked the ice out of their rubber waterer. I always leave the pop door open when I can and let them decide what they want to do. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be out in it, mine hate a cold wind. If a cold wind is not blowing they go out.

Ice.jpg

Chickens generally don't like change. Waking up to a strange white world is a big change. Mine tend to stay in the coop for two or three days if the ground is white when they wake up. Eventually some bolder ones will wander out but some aren't that bold. I think it helps if they have a reason to go out. I had some wade through 9" of show to check out the compost pile and a few other places they thought they might find food. One of those trails was over 100 feet long.

This photo is from 2013. These were already outside when the snow started falling. The change was gradual enough that they never bothered to go in. I don't think it is the cold or snow that bothers them. I think it is the change.

Snow Feb 2013.JPG

Jackie I think you are getting good suggestions on how to deal with it. Even if your coop is big enough that they can stay inside for weeks at a time I'd want then to have the option to go outside.

Good luck and be safe.

Hello everyone, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I wasn't sure which one to put it under. But I am here in New York, and we have almost 2 feet of snow. This is my first winter with chickens. It is extremely windy and snow is blowing everywhere. I'm guessing I should leave them in their coop until I can shovel out their run and the snow dies down? I winterized their coop so they will be fine if they need to stay in.
You must be further NW than I. We have over 39" on the ground but I dug my way to the coop.
Today is an exemplary reason why I always recommend a run with a solid roof that can handle the snow if you live in snow country.
IMG_20201217_080422408.jpg
IMG_20201217_075358427.jpg

My flock is oblivious to what happened outside their setup and were completely fine when I got to them.

I'm in that same storm system here in North Central Massachusetts @Jackie G. We've got about 12 inches or more on the ground. My run is covered but I shoveled a path to make sure they have fresh liquid water and food. You might consider at least partially covering their run when the weather permits. Also remember to clear the snow well away from the doors so they don't freeze up on you. Another tip is when you do shovel, toss the snow away from the the coop and run so the eventual melting snow doesn't flood the coop. With fresh food and wate, your chickens will be fine. Mine even like to run about after the storm is over.

Door opening out is the way to go. This particular storm the wind is managing to blow more snow in the run than normal. No snow got in the coop. I threw a bit of scratch on the snow and the girls got over their fear snow very quickly.

If we get a big storm prediction in the future, I may close off the open wall of the run with temporary plywood sheets. Hang them before the snow and remove when done. There are 12-18" gaps on the other three walls, so I think ventilation will still be OK.

Attachments

• 20201217_074012 (2).jpg
    20201217_074012 (2).jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 3
The way this wind is blowing it’s sending snow into the 6 inch ventilation gap I left between the plastic sheeting and the roof of the run. The coop is fine but the ladies seem a bit annoyed with having an inch of snow in their run. They don’t like the snow coming down but are happy to run about the trails I shovel for them after the storm.

Personally, I don't like to do things multiple times and since its still storming (wind/snow) I'd probably keep them in for now. You can give them some goodies to keep them busy. Once the wind dies down at least I'd shovel out the run some, throw some straw down on top and let them out. Most probably won't come out for a while regardless

Seems like I'm posting these old photos a lot lately. This one is from 2012. It was 4 degrees above zero Fahrenheit when I took this one. You can see where I knocked the ice out of their rubber waterer. I always leave the pop door open when I can and let them decide what they want to do. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be out in it, mine hate a cold wind. If a cold wind is not blowing they go out.

View attachment 2452740

Chickens generally don't like change. Waking up to a strange white world is a big change. Mine tend to stay in the coop for two or three days if the ground is white when they wake up. Eventually some bolder ones will wander out but some aren't that bold. I think it helps if they have a reason to go out. I had some wade through 9" of show to check out the compost pile and a few other places they thought they might find food. One of those trails was over 100 feet long.

This photo is from 2013. These were already outside when the snow started falling. The change was gradual enough that they never bothered to go in. I don't think it is the cold or snow that bothers them. I think it is the change.

View attachment 2452741

Jackie I think you are getting good suggestions on how to deal with it. Even if your coop is big enough that they can stay inside for weeks at a time I'd want then to have the option to go outside.

Good luck and be safe.

Okay thanks for all the info! I cleared out their run and opened up their door, but they didn't want to come out, which I figured. This is their first snow so they are probably very confused.

Back
Top Bottom