Chickens and Storms!

Dani13563

Chirping
Oct 4, 2023
Hey everyone! I was wondering what I should do with some stubborn chickens. Our coop is shaped like a triangle, so some of our chickens love climbing up the chicken wire and roosting on the top of the coop! This was fine with me until they continued roosting up there, even during bad storms. Our rooster has almost been blown off the coop a few times. My area can even start hailing sometimes, but they will just stay up there. Our coop is fairly tall and we are all very short, so the few times we’ve decided to get the chickens off the coop,
we had to literally shove them off using sticks or wood boards because they refused to come down. They will also come back out of the coop and climb back up if we leave the coop door open. I’m am just worried they are going to get hurt by hail or get blown off and break a leg. Should I just leave them or continue getting them down?

Unfortunately it is dark out right now so I can’t get pictures and I would have to measure the coop in the morning (I forgot the dimensions.) I doubt it’s a mite infestation as only four of my thirteen chickens sleep on top of the coop. I do know the reason WHY they sleep up there, I just don’t know why they won’t come down in a storm. The four chickens that sleep up there are all siblings from a batch of eight chicks, that were hen raised. They were obviously all bullied once the hen stopped caring for them. They would climb up the coop since the older hens wouldn’t let them sleep. The remaining four (two roosters and two hens; the other four were roosters that were slaughtered) are no longer at the bottom of the pecking order. The two roosters are in charge of the flock and the two sisters are not bullied at all. I doubt the older hens are running them out of the coop, since they allow two little eight week old roo brothers so sleep in the coop as well. They also have enough room as one half of the coop is basically empty. The seven hens sleep on the right side of the coop, and the two roos sleep in a corner on the left. So there is enough room. As for ventilation, I’m not sure about that. It’s always warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer if that’s what you mean. Is there any other reason anyone else can think of as to why they don’t like sleeping in the coop? (Also, the four do go in the coop during the day.)

Is there any other reason anyone else can think of as to why they don’t like sleeping in the coop? (Also, the four do go in the coop during the day.)
I'm betting it's crowded.
How old are these birds, in months?
Please provide the dimensions and pics, it's futile to guess the problem with the information thus provided.

It’s always warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer
Hmmm...
Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Dani13563
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1696506396625.png

Back
Top Bottom