Chickens started roosting outside coop

PaisleyChickMama

Songster
Oct 1, 2022
Zearing Iowa
Hey guys not sure if this goes here or flock management but I’m having a dilemma here. My chickens have stopped going in the coop at night since the leaves on the trees have fallen. Instead they roost in our mullberry tree that's in the run. I'll post a picture. It takes a while to get all 4 out of the tree and in the coop when it's dark out and I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before or if there's anyway to avoid this. They roost very early in the day even before the sun is gone I’d say around 5. So maybe I could get them in the coop before they start to roost at 5 but I also have 7 ducks that share the coop and they would be locked out when they want to go in. I don't want to cut down the tree because it provides safety from Hawks during the season also food for the birds since its a mulberry tree. Are the chickens high enough ground at night to leave them? The one on the lower branch doesn't do that anymore she's normally with the others up high. What would you recommend ?
IMG_4756.png

Hey guys not sure if this goes here or flock management but I’m having a dilemma here. My chickens have stopped going in the coop at night since the leaves on the trees have fallen. Instead they roost in our mullberry tree that's in the run. I'll post a picture. It takes a while to get all 4 out of the tree and in the coop when it's dark out and I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this before or if there's anyway to avoid this. They roost very early in the day even before the sun is gone I’d say around 5. So maybe I could get them in the coop before they start to roost at 5 but I also have 7 ducks that share the coop and they would be locked out when they want to go in. I don't want to cut down the tree because it provides safety from Hawks during the season also food for the birds since its a mulberry tree. Are the chickens high enough ground at night to leave them? The one on the lower branch doesn't do that anymore she's normally with the others up high. What would you recommend ?View attachment 3709969
Is there maybe something on the ground that's causing them to roost so high? Either way, I'd suggest maybe keeping them in a closer proximity to the coop. Either that or cut off access to the trees. But you definitely need a better opinion than mine!

A little background. We live in Iowa so we don't get snakes, but we get raccoons, hawks, and possums, and the occasional Fox or coyote. I personally haven't experienced predators since I've had them other than a hawk attack and my neighbor mentioned a fox in the neighboring yard but I never saw it. I live in a small town on the edge of town so it's not quite country but also not enclosed by a bunch of houses. We also have two dogs that are outside during the day marking the territory but come inside at night.

If a chickens don't want in the coop, it could be a few things. mites, too tight, or they don't feel safe.
I'd check your coop for mites or other issues, wipe your hand under the roost, if it comes back red, you have mites.
Make sure there's no claw marks outside the coop like something is trying to get in or signs if predators.

Is there maybe something on the ground that's causing them to roost so high? Either way, I'd suggest maybe keeping them in a closer proximity to the coop. Either that or cut off access to the trees. But you definitely need a better opinion than mine!
I'm not sure, if you're talking predator I doubt it, they used to go into the coop just fine at night but then they realized the tree was easy to climb after the leaves fell off.

I'm not sure, if you're talking predator I doubt it, they used to go into the coop just fine at night but then they realized the tree was easy to climb after the leaves fell off.
Ohhh. It might just be a seasonal thing too. Then again, I'm not great with chickens. Maybe @TwoCrows could help? She's had chickens for a while.

I'll check all those again. I recently checked their legs and no signs of scabbing or raised skin. Would it be limited to those things or is that just most likely. I guess maybe they don't like living with the ducks or maybe I need to make them a better roost comparable to the tree. Thanks for the input 🙂.
If a chickens don't want in the coop, it could be a few things. mites, too tight, or they don't feel safe.
I'd check your coop for mites or other issues, wipe your hand under the roost, if it comes back red, you have mites.
Make sure there's no claw marks outside the coop like something is trying to get in or signs if predators.

This is not safe at all. Most night time marauders climb and quite well. The birds may have been safe so far, but eventually they will be found and picked off one by one. Winter is about to pounce on us all, they should not be exposed to the elements. They are like to turn up with frostbitten feet and combs.

Something is keeping them out of the coop, I suspect the Ducks may be deterring the chickens from entering. Ducks really need their own quarters, different poultry species have different requirements.

For now you will need to supervise roosting time each night. Get the chickens in first up and roosting, then the Ducks snuggled in.

Back
Top Bottom