Two coops, one run and cold weather

Bayoucrazy

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
South of New Orleans Louisiana
I have 7 hens. 3 are 3yrs old and the other 4 are 10 months old. I have them all integrated into one run which has two coops. One is large with five roosting boards and 3 nesting boxes. It is well made and warm with enough room for all of them. There are two roosts that aren’t even being used at night because the older ladies like to roost way up high. The other coop was one I put together when I was integrating the younger girls to the flock. It has roosting boards and two nesting boxes but it doesn’t have thick plywood sides and only has siding as the roof. The younger ladies will go into the nice coop during the day and I’ve even seen them in the nesting boxes there but won’t roost there at night. My question is should I force all the ladies into the warmer coop for this upcoming weather or spend my whole day trying to make the smaller coop warmer? I’d love for them to all roost together but don’t want to create fight. I don’t plan on keeping them closed up during the day. Was just going to leave it up to them if they wanted to come out in morning. Btw I’m in Louisiana and the temps are supposed to be around 32F tonight and for next few days

I have 7 hens. 3 are 3yrs old and the other 4 are 10 months old. I have them all integrated into one run which has two coops. One is large with five roosting boards and 3 nesting boxes. It is well made and warm with enough room for all of them. There are two roosts that aren’t even being used at night because the older ladies like to roost way up high. The other coop was one I put together when I was integrating the younger girls to the flock. It has roosting boards and two nesting boxes but it doesn’t have thick plywood sides and only has siding as the roof. The younger ladies will go into the nice coop during the day and I’ve even seen them in the nesting boxes there but won’t roost there at night. My question is should I force all the ladies into the warmer coop for this upcoming weather or spend my whole day trying to make the smaller coop warmer? I’d love for them to all roost together but don’t want to create fight. I don’t plan on keeping them closed up during the day. Was just going to leave it up to them if they wanted to come out in morning. Btw I’m in Louisiana and the temps are supposed to be around 32F tonight and for next few days
I would just leave the situation the way it is.

32F is not particularly cold for chickens, as long as they are sheltered from wind and rain.

It sounds like your smaller coop is probably fine. You could check whether wind blows in right on the roosts, and put up a tarp if needed-- but if the roosts are already sheltered from wind, then there is no need to change anything.

You can go either way. The reality is 32F isn't cold for them. If there's plenty of floor space and ventilation inside the bigger coop, then maybe now is the time to integrate them all into one space. If realistically the bigger coop cannot hold the new additions along with the old, then it's probably safer to let them continue spending the night where they feel comfortable.

I’d love for them to all
Be together but certainly don’t want to stress them.
Well change is stressful for chickens so sometimes you just have to rip the bandage off. How long have they shared the run and have there been any issues there? If no real problems and it's been more than a few weeks, they should be fine being moved in together, but if it helps make you feel better you can let them out at the break of dawn the next couple of days just to ensure they all did fine through the night.

Back
Top Bottom