2 flocks, both duds, can't decide what to do!!

My first thought is worms. I use apple flavored horse Ivermectin twice a year. My almost three year old hens average 4 or 5 eggs each per week all winter. Have you ruled out humans? Even if there was a serious parasite problem, you should be getting some eggs from so many birds.

This seems like a baffling mystery that I think you should figure out, as you should be getting an egg or two each day. I wonder if a coop cam might be your answer. I have never ever had a flock not lay an egg at all, especially of the RIR's. They are laying machines. Even if they are molting and you can't tell, you would get one or two eggs a week I am sure. They rarely all molt exactly the same time or the same length of time. RIR's are not usually overly broody, or broody at all depending on where you got them.

If you sell both flocks, you are looking at at least 28 weeks to back up to production, so your customers will be long gone by then and you will have to lure them back somehow.

If you keep the younger flock, (a good idea) they should start laying by spring for sure

If you keep both flocks (my choice) I KNOW they are capable of laying eggs, you must solve the mystery.
idunno.gif

if possible, I'd keep them locked up in the run/coop area so make sure they are not laying in hidden nests, such as the hay loft.
I'd clip wings if they fly over the fence
I'd take one to the state vet for autopsy, to rule out disease (if you can do this)
And I am thinking it may just be your light source. It is pretty dark there most of the days? Maybe you need to lower the lights, or increase the wattage, maybe have the lights kick on at 5 am, then off when the sun is up, then back on at 5pm and not off until 8pm or even 9pm. Keep the coop dark, but allow them natural light in the run then light the coop when it is normally dark outside. They do seem to lay better when the coop is dark.

Keep us updated. A few pics of your coop might help. I bet you could borrow a GAME CAM or get one on eBay for not too much, def. cheaper than a new flock. Oh, and it is possible to tell if a hen is laying by looking at her. Comb will be red and soft, pelvic bones flexible and vent moist and pink. They will have good flesh over the breast bone and the feathers will be shiny and lusterous. Too many roosters can keep hens from laying well, but I still think you'd get a few eggs. I am going to keep up with your post, as I love a good mystery.
hide.gif
caf.gif

I sure hope you solve this problem and get your girls back to paying their own way. HenZ
hugs.gif

A side note on feed consumption:

Last winter I'd noted a vast increase in feed, more so than no longer free ranging. It didn't occur to me until almost spring they had no access to grit come frozen winter. They need to eat more due to not breaking feed down as well. Just a thought to save some feed cost if yours don't have grit access. Also pellets are less wasteful than crumbles that get scattered over floor, another big food loss.

Most have been mentioned, but I'll repeat anyway.

Are they hiding nests from you? Lock them up for a day and see if you get eggs. In my experience not all quit laying in the coop, especially with the large numbers you have. You should still see a few eggs.

Something is eating them. There are a lot of things that eat chicken eggs, but most of them are not going to eat all of them every day and leave no mess or evidence. Anything is possible, but I really don't think it is snakes, rats, raccoons, skunks, possums, or the chickens. I'd be real suspicious of family dogs if you have any. Foxes or coyotes, maybe , but I'd expect them to take chickens as well as eggs. Do you have family dogs?

Is somebody stealing them? A human!!!

Are they getting enough water? This does not even come close to explaining the ones that quit in summer, but in Ontario in the winter, maybe this is afffecting your young ones?

There are some possible diseases that can cause them to stop laying, but you said they look healthy. I try to not ever totally rule anything out, but this does not seem very likely. You should see other symptoms.

My pullets tend to lay all through the winter but I don't have the climate you do. It may just be that your cold weather is causing it. That does not sound right, especially with your flock stopping in the middle of summer. It just does not sound right at all.

I seriously doubt it is a food issue. You should be seeing some even if they are on a lousy diet.

That feed consumption is interesting. Maybe the forage in northern Ontario is really bad this time of year. Mine increase their feed consumption some in the winter, so maybe that is it. I'd also be suspicious of worms. They are not always that noticeable and chickens, dogs, cats, whatever, eat more when they have worms.

It could be a combination. My strongest suspicions are that something is eating them or someone stealing them. But maybe several are hiding nests and your pet dog is eating the ones laid in the coop?

This is a strange one. The flock stopping in early summer should not happen. Most of my pullets lay thoruigh out their first winter. I just don't know.

Quote:
they are on layer feed from masterfeeds. nothing else. they get their own eggshells back once I grind them, and they do have Oyster shell. which they do not fancy at all.

Quote:
they free range spring, summer and fall, they do not like the snow so they stick around their coops, sometimes they venture about 5 or 6 feet into the yard but come right back in, LOL, I have scoured every inch of their coop and pens, in the winter they are in enclosed pens, fenced in, because the foxes seem to hang around more and same with the bobcats, as I do not leave my dogs out in the winter like I do during warmer weather.
I have noticed though they are using their nesting boxes to poop in and as soon as I clean it, they go in kick out all the shavings and straw and go back to pooping in it. I then decided to move the nesting boxes and nothing, then I decided to give them a different one and nothing, they just don't care for the nesting boxes now like they used to, they don't seem to be bothered or upset about anything really, they are happy kicking their bedding about.

and yes something is really off about this, so frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom