2 hens 1 strange poop! advice please!

CCinVT

Songster
6 Years
Jun 9, 2017
I have 2 salmon faverolles hens. Both seem to have the same issue. The remaining 14 hens seem unaffected. I have been looking at poop charts, and pictures, and reading. I have no idea. They have all been wormed this spring. My hens are about 2 yrs old. There is no blood in their poop. One girl is leaving huge splats, and it is her pictures I have pasted below. she is the one I noticed it with first. I only figured out the second one was leaving small splat night before last. They are buddies, and usually hang out together. They are not filling their crops before going in at night/during the day although they are scratching around and drinking. I have been checking everyone else's crops and they are packed full at night. My girls have sad chicken tails, and are moving with lethargy. They are bottom of the pecking order, and definitely my puddle drinkers. I thought at first they drank or ate something they shouldn't have. I don't notice anyone picking on them, and they seem to be scratching around eating drinking more when outside. I noticed the first odd poop about a week ago. I watched her for a day or two to see if it cleared up. I give the whole flock probiotics in their water every two weeks, and they were due so I gave them the normal 3 days of that, and an extra day yesterday because the bottle said it's ok to give it longer as needed, and they were definitely drinking it. I took the first one inside after a couple days, and offered her scrambled egg which she ate most of. Then I was trying the probiotics. She seemed to perk up, and be more active. Day before yesterday I gave her scrambled egg again, and she eats them. I added a tiny bit of oregano to her egg, and a light drizzle of yogurt. I also gave the second hen the rest of the egg (so they both ate about half an egg) before closing them up at night. Yesterday their poops were still a splat, but it looked light brown like they had actually eaten grain And they were acting more active. This morning is the poops I've posted below. It looked like they were passing the scrambled egg I gave them day before yesterday?! Their crops this morning felt about the same size as they were last night. The smell isn't anything noticeable. I have been putting a feed bag under her at night so I can see, and change it easily. I literally sniffed the bag, and eh it didn't smell like much! so it doesn't have a strong smell. Only other thing I can think of is that I don't think they have been laying. That's all the info I've got so far. I haven't separated them because they seem less stressed in the flock, and no one is picking on them. I've seen no difference in the rest of the flock just seems to be these two girls.

Here is the splat I find in the morning. Yesterday looked like a lot of light brown grain mush, and I gave her egg day before yesterday. The second girls splats are smaller, but still a lot of liquid.
0630180912b.jpg

This small splat I think shows what I'm seeing that looks like the scrambled egg I gave her.
0630180912a.jpg

finally for comparison this is the poop board this morning, and what everyone else's poop looks like. I think they all seem to fall into the normal category.
0630180914.jpg

Thank you in advance!

You've presented several things that could point to a bacterial infection in your two hens. Odd, scant poop along with signs of lethargy and poor appetite point to infection. But the symptoms could also be from bullying away from the feeder resulting in loss of weight and vitality.

First, I urge you to observe the dynamics in the flock around the feeders. Try to notice any sign that others are pushing these two away from the feeders. After a while bullied hens may stop trying to get food from the feeders, and they need to be rehabilitated to change their victim status back to self confidence. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

If you determine bullying is not the issue, then treating the two hens with an antibiotic would be a good plan.

This seems like a good place for me to start. Today was still watery poops, but also their first day separated. I have a little temporary run spot set up in the yard already for a rooster who was going to be transitioned back to the flock after an injury. So we set the girls up in there. Little chicken house, food, and water. The one who I noticed first I've seen eating and drinking, but is deff. staying close to the little house. the second hen who is actually much smaller, and for sure gets picked on didn't come out of the house at all. it also was crazy hot here today so she might just be happy to have a spot to rest, and not be bothered. They had a long, and cold winter here in Vermont, and all spent a lot of time together. She has been getting new pin feathers in and I have seen the other girls bully her. I also have noticed that she will wait until the end of the day when everyone else has loaded up to go to the feeder, and will wait until everyone is out of the coop, and distracted before she leaves the coop. the other hen who is off seems to sneak to the feeder when no one else is there, but will definitely not jump in if there are treats or anything like that. she will wait, and get what the others have missed. They ate some scrambled egg last night. i'm going to see if I notice a boost of confidence once they have a chance to realize the others can't bother them in their new day time run. The article you linked was very helpful, and clearly written.

Back
Top Bottom