2 hens dead and now another one is sick

injeniera

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 24, 2015
I have an issue!! Please, if you can give me any advice I would appreciate it. Two weeks ago I had 2 hens die with the same symptoms: They start stuffing their head a bit, very lethargic, eat little. I haven't seen sneezing, runny noses or anything besides that.

Here're the recommended details:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.): Highline-brown, 2 years old. She doesn't feel lighter than others
2) What is the behavior, exactly: Her head is tucked in, she is very lethargic. She just stands or lays somewhere, eats and drinks less than others.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She's been like this for 3 - 4 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Yes, I had 2 other birds with this behaviour and they died a couple of weeks ago.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea, i think it is a disease that spreading through the pack.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes, I've seen her eat, but I would say that less than others
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I haven't been able to identify her poop specifically... but haven't seen blood on poop, I've seen a bit of runny poop though.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing, I just isolated her, she hasn't drunk the electrolytes I gave her yet.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? There are no poultry vets where I live so I have to treat on my own, if at all.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
1676393823750.png

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: They live in a coop and run. The coop is 2,4 x 2,4 m2, te run is about 6 x 12 m2. The bedding is straw... We're trying to get a truck to bring shaves.

Sorry for your loss. What do you feed your chickens? Have you checked to see if they could have eaten mold in feed or something poisonous. Has she laid eggs recently? What do her poops look like? When I lose a hen, I will do a home examination or necropsy, opening the abdominal cavity, and looking at the organs. Take pictures if you do one to post here. Cancer, internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, crop disorders are all common. If you can see this video, it identifies the organs and shows what normal ones look like:

I think they might have eaten mold... now that you mentioned, they were pecking at a bit of food that I was going to throw away. Is mold poissonous?
They eat laying feed, from a local provider...

After reseaching just a liiittle bit, could it be mold?? I mean, the first 2 died 2 weeks ago and this one is sick now...

Yes, mold is poisonous and can cause death. It can grow in feed spilled or stored that has had drops of moisture in it. It may be present in beding that has gotten damp. If mold is suspected, then cleaning out coop, adding clean dry bedding, and making sure that feed is fresh and dry in an closed container. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom