2 Hens died; third hen same symptoms; swollen abdomen, messy bottom

hobbychickenfarms

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Hello!
I could use some help identifying something going on with my hens. I have lost 2 hens to whatever this is and now a third is showing the same symptoms.
The two that died were 2 year old hens, one golden comet and a white leghorn.
The one with the same symptoms is also a 2 year old leghorn; weights about 3 1/2 pounds.

They start out droopy with messy bottoms. Color is anywhere from a yellowish to green. Their abdomens swell and are very red. I also noticed purplish dots on the belly of the one currenly ill. They also lose their feathers underneath. At first they eat and drink very well for a few weeks then
eventually go downhill and pass away. No blood in the stools, just very messy. I tried antibiotics at first for 5 days but no change so I started using electrolytes with vitamins in the water which seemed to help for a time, but eventually stops working for whatever reason. They are in enclosed dog runs with a roof overhead so it stays nice and dry in their coop area. In good weather they are always allowed to free range on the property.

I have researched all over the internet but can't find anything as specific as what they have.
Anyone have any suggestions or guesses? I am hoping this one will make it, but just not sure.
Thanks!

I am sorry you are dealing with a sick bird and have lost some already.
Being all high production breed birds I suspect internal laying.

Green droppings are an indication of not eating.

I will see if casportpony is able to help.
@casportpony .

Can you lend your knowledge here?

Thanks! Looking at the symptoms online it does sound like that's what it most likely is. The one telltale thing I forgot about is the penguin-like stance. They walked upright for quite some time before succumbing. Hoping casportpony may give a bit of knowledge as well.

Those 2 breeds are high production breeds for egg laying, so they do tend to suffer from reproductive problems, such as internal laying, salpingitis, egg binding, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites. Some of us do a necropsy when we lose a chicken, to open the abdomen and look at organs for something abnormal. A state vet or poultry lab can also do a necropsy to find a cause. Sorry for your loss. Here is some reading about reproductive problems:
http://www.regenbiocorps.com/index.php/poultry-diseases/17-disorders-of-reproductive-systems

i
Sadly I would agree that internal laying or other reproductive issue is the likely diagnosis but another option could be ascites caused by Fatty Liver Haemorrhagic Syndrome. That is usually a problem with larger, dual purpose birds but could be caused in lighter weight birds by a dietary imbalance. What do you feed them?
Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do to treat internal laying, salpingitis etc. There are some very expensive (and risky) options that are probably beyond the average poultry keepers purse even if you can find a vet to perform them competently. Even so, it may not be worth putting the hen through it. I can outline some of those options and approx. costs if you are interested.

Thanks everyone for your input! I suspect you are all right and that it definitely is a reproductive issue. All they receive as food are chicken crumbles and sunflower seeds and free ranging time everyday, if the weather allows . They are not given garden scraps or any other kind of treats. Unfortunately even with the highly thought of OSU vet clinic here in town, there is no one here that treats chickens and I could not put much money in it even if there were especially because of these kinds of problems that really result in fatalities more often than not anyway.

She is not as advanced as the others were so I may try an antibiotic for 5-7 days. If no improvement, she will most likely be culled.

Thanks for the link, Eggcessive, I will definitely be checking out the reproductive disease website.

Back
Top Bottom