2 Hens on 1 Nest

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I had a broody hen who was sitting in eggs that are supposed to hatch in about 2 weeks. Today I went out to check in her and she was roaming the yard clucking and making a lot of noise and I figured she was just off the nest so I went to check to see if she had stolen more eggs. Well another hen was sitting on the eggs that she had been sitting on. So there are two hens trying to hatch out 1 set off 11 eggs. Is this normal? What should I do?

I have the same problem but three hens.
Yes, it is normal.

You could have four nesting boxes and the hens won't leave that one.
If you want to hatch eggs? I would suggest separating one hen.

If you don't want to hatch eggs, take out the eggs.

I hope this info helps! :)

-The Angry Hen

Isolate the broody hen and put six or eight eggs under her!

I have SIX nesting boxes and my hens like to use exactly ONE of them. When a hen goes broody, the others climb on top of her and lay more eggs until she's over-whelmed. For her to hatch successfully, she should be only regular-whelmed

I had a broody hen who was sitting in eggs that are supposed to hatch in about 2 weeks. Today I went out to check in her and she was roaming the yard clucking and making a lot of noise and I figured she was just off the nest so I went to check to see if she had stolen more eggs. Well another hen was sitting on the eggs that she had been sitting on. So there are two hens trying to hatch out 1 set off 11 eggs. Is this normal? What should I do?
I just got an education this morning on co-brooding. Two hens taking care of same nest. Hopefully one of the folks that are more experienced here can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom