2 hens out of 9 are losing some feather on their back from the rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Deer lane farm, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Deer lane farm

Deer lane farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Now today I see where they are losing their feather one of them was all wet and dark and smelly. I don't see any cuts or blood. What can this be? If the Rooster getting poop on the girls back. I smelt like it. I separated them for now. What should I do. Should I get rid of the Rooster? This doesn't happen to any of the other hens. Can I separate the Rooster and let him live by himself with the goats.
    I love my Rooster but I can't have him hurting the girls. Could this be something else, some kind of infection? I don't see any thing but missing wet feathers.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you try to dry out the area with pine shavings or sand? Hen aprons made out of a piece of a square piece of polar fleece with 2 wing slits are good for shielding their backs form over mating. You can limit the roosters time with the hens for awhile or separate him until he calms down a bit. Dull his spurs and beak tip with a file to cut down on his hurting them. Most roosters need 10-12 hens as a good ratio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by