2 Hoop coop cattle panel questions

Pics
leaning a bit to one side, sort of a airstream teardrop camper shape. Does anyone know what causes this? Do I have something misaligned? The first two went up in a perfectly centered hoop with no effort
Did you put the same side up on both sets? Just guessing at a possible cause, I don;t know if it would make a difference.
I'm thinking I will need to go over under over under over under, though I don't know how easy that will be.
Maybe space out the unders then come back with the overs?
2 to 'look right'
The chickens won't care.

Be sure to share pics of your progress.

WOW. you built a fortress! Spreaders might work for me, though I might do it differently... (I'm thinking boards with notches).

My setup isnt nearly as elaborate as yours... well, it would be if it was going to be smaller, but since I'm attempting 4 long runs (~40 feet each, iirc, it's been ages since I measured and my notebook isn't near) I had wanted to cut expenses down.
To make a long run stay the correct shape, you could add braces or spreaders of some sort at each end, and in one or two of the middle sections. That would be cheaper and easier than trying to brace them all, but might be enough to keep them in shape correctly.

So yesterday we spent a few hours 'practicing' different techniques. For example, we tried lining everything up perfectly square and zip tying sets of 2 while they were on the ground to ensure at least every set was perfectly aligned. This didn't totally solve the tear drop situation for our feeding/rainshed area... but helped? That said, once we started building a large structure after we did 2 bound sets we realized it was significantly easier to just do one at a time.

We debated the alignment thing - that is, the 50 cattle panel (an entire bundle from the manufacturer, still wired together from the factory) was alternating top/bottom. By this, I mean one would have, say, the horizontal wires on top, the next on bottom, and on and on. So we tried various combos (wires same direction, wires 'out' for a tighter fit.). None of this seemed to be to any affect,

We are alternating over under overlap. We overlap exactly one square and zip tie it in place. So far our longer structure is looking for better than we expected. I think the slight lean is unavoidable due to the slope of our yard. We will add spreaders after the fact if we think it needs it.

We need to put up about 4 more panels, then will use hardware cloth at the ends to connect to the two buildings.

IMG_8298.jpg

You can also see the begginnings of our garden on the far side of the hoop. 6 inches of woodchip hard fill for the hugelkulture (sp?) Garden I've been tasked to. The 4 hoop runs will eventually protect it from the wild life.

Oh, the jbars seem to be doing their job quite well, even in the damp ground of winter.

This is the kind of project that will need a 'one year update'... but I think it is working.

Our ground has a decent slope to it so I think perfection would be impossible, but if you look at it from the side (and not 'down the run) all imperfections fade into nothing.

So does one hoop give you 4x8ft that is about 6ft high?

Give or take, yes. Height dependent on exact width, obviously. And each panel is technically 50 inches, but then overlapped. However since we are overlapping one square (for zip tying along the panel squares) we lose some, and then since one side has smaller squares we need to alternate overlapping big square, small squares, etc (technically rectangles).

Two of them make a great little wood shed. They also seek great for a run.

Back
Top Bottom