2 Lame hens

jhmoore

Songster
11 Years
Sep 6, 2008
Holly, Michigan
One week ago my 3 year old BO hen began displaying some lameness issues- laying down more, not wanting to climb back into the coop at night. She still had a good appetite, and has continued to free range and forage with the rest of the hens. She has also continued to lay normally. Today I noticed that my also 3 year old EE hen was laying around more, and quite stiff when she rises. She too is foraging and eating her crumble normally, but just doesn't look right. Both these hens are acting as though they are laying on their hocks, in a more reclined positon than if they were simply laying in the sand or sun. I have them housed in a large coop with 4 other hens- all are the same age and all were vaccinated for Mareks when I bought them as day old chicks. I de-worm, clean and change bedding regularly. Can they still get Mareks if vaccinated? What could this be? Do I need to worry about the rest of my chickens? I appreciate any advice you can lend! Thank you in advance.

How do they get in and out of the coop, there may be an issue with the way they have to navigate the coop opening, like improper angles on the ramps or roost issues, just thinking out loud.

Lameness can come from things other than Marek's too. BO's are typically big heavy birds and can injure a joint jumping down from too much height. They can get arthritis, etc. as well.

They get in and out of the coop using a ladder- it's not too steep and they have been using it for 3+ years with no issues. I had heard that BOs can get arthritis, and suffer from joint issues, particularly hatchery stock. For this reason, I wasn't too worried about that hen. I simply picked her up in the morning and night to move her in and out of the coop so she didn't have to worry about trying. But, then when the EE starting acting the same way, I became worried. Now, the EE is built pretty heavy-bodied as well, but it seems odd that they would both start with arthritis or something at the same time. Should they be isolated from the rest of the flock?

Back
Top Bottom