2 little sick chicks 1 little crippled chick PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvzmybabz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I went yesterday and got some chicks there was a few that were not doing so well and the guy gave them to me to try to save. Two are doing the weird neck back strechy thiung but since I got them home they seem to be doing a little better only do the neck stretchy thing only when they drink water. The other little guy has a bad leg he will not put any weight on it, so i taped the leg down similair to how I tape spraddle leg cause he was holding it up and out, well today I checked on him again and noticed his knee joint is odd any help would be appreciated I got these 3 knowing they probably will not make it but want to give them a shot at least. Here is a picture of the little guy's knee joint. looking at the picture makes me think broken leg cull him but if anyone out there has a better option I am all for it.

[​IMG]

2. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    what is the weird back stretch thing?

My little chicks stretch their legs about behind them occasionally, is that not normal?

3. kinardmommy

kinardmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Texas
    I have a chick that hatched about 2 1/2 days ago with the exact same problem. I am very new to this but I treatd his leg the same a spraddle. He also will not put any weight on it and holds it up. He seems to be able to get around better with the legs bound together. He is doing very well and is eating and drinking. I give hime 3 drops of the Poly-vi-sol everyday and treat him to some chopped egg. I would never have the heart to cull him so I have decided he is going to be my special needs chick. His knee joint looks the same as the pic you showed but I have no idea what else to do for him than what I have already done. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Nikki

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:That is fine....they are just stretching. You will see it more and more as they are getting feathers and stretching...they even do it out to the side a bit with their wing spread out.

5. Henpecked

Henpecked Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Magnolia, TX
    Hi there,

This looks like his tendon has slipped out of the groove. You will need to try and carefully straighten her leg and then use your finger to nudge that tendon behind there and then see if that does the trick. Often it will. If it pops right back out or pops out in a day of two, you will have to roll it back in place, cut some toothpick pieces to brace each side and tape it all up. She won't be able to bend it, but usually in a day or two, with extra calcium supplements, she will back to normal and you can remove the brace.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by