2 month old chick with some sort of cold - What do I do?

kjc1990

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
North West, Ireland
Hi there,

New to this forum, feel free to move my post mods.

I have a 2 month old chick that's sneezing and has a slightly runny nose. He's still eating fine and acting normally.

Is there anything I can give him? Should I bring him into my house where its warmer?

I really don't want anything to him. I had an ex-batt that went broody and hatched out this one chick, she passed away a couple weeks after he was hatched I think maybe being broody took too much out of her and she was around 2.5 years.

Please advise.

Thanks.

The sneezing could be from the bedding. Could the bedding be dusty, or maybe the ammonia level is high? If he is acting normal otherwise, this may be the case. I'd watch him closely for the next few days.

Chickens don't get "colds". They get respiratory diseases. Its possible that your chick has a mild respiratory disease, such as Infectious Bronchitis. If you have any other chickens, isolate him from them. This will help prevent any disease from spreading. Give electrolytes and probiotics at first, as it is probably a viral disease and won't respond to antibiotics. But, if you notice the sneezing getting worse, get some antibiotics. Terramycin, Erythromycin, and Duramycin are all good antibiotics that you can put in the water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom