2 month old chicks started dying

dac63

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
cochranville Pa.
i ordered banty cochins 2 months ago and they sent some baby barred rocks as fillers. Just yesterday some of them started dying. they are still on medicated feed and havent been on the ground yet. Their poop is turning a reddish brown and they get a little droopy looking. i dont know what could be doing this. in my banties out of eleven i only got 4 hens and two are looking sick . the first ones to die have been the barred rock. does any one have any ideas. I just dont know what to do or what to give them. any help would be appreciated as i dont want to loose anymore. thank you donna

thanks so much, They are droopy and some have very pale combs, plus the reddish brown poop. I started them on duramycin 10 yesterday. should i stop that and just give the corid? I even wondered if some of the food got moldy as we had them in a playhouse temporarily with outdoor carpet, the green stuff and then i thought maybe some of the food stayed in it and molded and they ate it. Thank you so much. Donna what would we do without backyard chickens . it is a blessing

Take away the duramycin and treat with Corid. Tractor Supply will have it in stock, it is in the cattle section. You should notice a definite improvement if it is coccidiosis within 24 hours. Please keep us updated!

I went to tractor supply and they did not have the corid, but i got the other one that was suggested the sulmet. I have given it to them and hope that the break down of the dosage was right that i was given. told to us half tsp to a gallon of water.. Hope that is right. if it isnt would someone please let me know. Do you think i should still give them the drench also? thank you for your quick replies. I would hate to loose them. donna

I went to tractor supply and they did not have the corid, but i got the other one that was suggested the sulmet.  I have given it to them and hope that the break down of the dosage was right that i was given.  told to us half tsp to a gallon of water.. Hope that is right. if it isnt would someone please let me know.  Do you think i should still give them the drench also? thank you for your quick replies.  I would hate to loose them.    donna

Did you get the powder or liquid? I don't know what the correct dose for the powder is.

The label on my bottle of liquid says that the dose for coccidiosis in poultry is:
Two tablespoons (1 fl oz or 29.6 cc's) per gallon for two days, then reduce to one tablespoon (1/2 fl oz) for four additional days.

It also implies that you should make a fresh batch daily, probably because sunlight can degrade the sulfa.

My bottle is Sulmet, sulfamethazine sodium 12.5% drinking water solution.

-Kathy
Gilroy, CA

Thanks for posting, Kathy.

Keep in mind that Sulmet only treats 3 types of Coccidia and Corid treats many more. If you do not see improvement, you will need to get the Corid. I'm very surprised that TSC didn't have it in stock. I've never been in a TSC that didn't carry it.
Did you get the powder or liquid? I don't know what the correct dose for the powder is.
The label on my bottle of liquid says that the dose for coccidiosis in poultry is:
Two tablespoons (1 fl oz or 29.6 cc's) per gallon for two days, then reduce to one tablespoon (1/2 fl oz) for four additional days.
It also implies that you should make a fresh batch daily, probably because sunlight can degrade the sulfa.
My bottle is Sulmet, sulfamethazine sodium 12.5% drinking water solution.
-Kathy
Gilroy, CA

he said they normally had it should get some in, but i was afraid to wait This is a new tsc and they are not well stocked yet compared to the one in lancaster.. I should have gone to lancaster instead. it is powder form. I did loose a banty rooster last night and still have a hen that is not looking good but is eating today. The barred rock roosters all seem better than they were acting crazy as usual and already fighting each other and picking on the bantys. guess will have to take them to auction soon. The other bantys seem a litttle better today. just that one little hen and she still has a very pale face..I am also giving them the poultry drench, which i was told is important for sick or stressed chickens. It smells like molasses and has other vitamins and things in it. Kind of messy and you can squirt it in their mouth or add to water. The sicker ones that werent eating last night were the ones i force fed it to. I hope i am giving them a strong enough amount. I do make the meds up each day. so hopefully i am doing something right. thank you and please if you have any other ideas let me know. It is weird as i have chickens i let loose and they are fine. these have been kept away and off ground. again thank you and i will keep you posted. Going to the other tsc tomorrow for the corid today was the dentist day and take my handicap son to work so couldnt get there. he has downes syndrome , but does quite well and is so kind to animals . sorry i am getting off subject. thank you donna

well i had posted a reply and it didnt go through cause dummy me hit the enter button. Thank you all for suggesting the change in meds. the babies are doing so much better, i cant believe how quickly they responded to that med. I never had the corid before. Yes oxford had it , I forgot about that one. The new store still doesnt have the corid unless they sold it really fast. I had to take my mean rooster and the young barred rock roosters that came with my order to the auction tonight. I hate doing that but cant keep all those roosters and the mean guy hurt one of the barred rocks , so i kept that one to see if it get better. Those young barred rocks were already fight with each other and picking on my 2 silkies. Cant figure why those two gold cochin roosters that it bought last year were so mean They are always such a sweet breed of chicken/ The ones that hatched from my chicknes in my incubator are so sweet and actually much prettier than the ones i ordered. lol proud parent. again thank you so much for the great advice. donna

Back
Top Bottom