2 new questions

Kiwiheather

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Hi I have 12 week old (God willing) pullets I got as the rainbow layer assortment from McMurrarys as day old chicks.. I am questioning one only because it has a larger comb and wattle than all the others of the same age. I have no idea of the type of many including these two! Any help is appreciated!

Shirley, seems to have a bigger comb and wattle

Different angle, trying to get the saddle feathers

this is fattie and most all the others have combs this size maybe a bit bigger. Anyone a clue as to what breed this is? The neck is super fat and it almost looks "hawk-like" lol

another not so great pic of fattie

I appreciate any help you can give me and thank you for taking the time to have a look!!!
bow.gif

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so happy no roosters!! (my neighbors prob even more)~ It's so weird how the neck is so fat.. is that usual with an easter egger??? thanks again!

I agree, Leghorn pullet and Easter egger pullet. Those leghorns get big combs early and freak folks out! Luckily the girls and boys of this breed are totally different color, so sexing is easy. She'll lay tons on big white eggs once she hits her stride.

Pretty much any time someone describes their bird as "hawk-like", you can be sure it's an Easter egger hen. They just have that look!

She'll lay tons on big white eggs once she hits her stride.
Maybe. In my experience, the colored Leghorns don't lay nearly as well as the white, commercial variety. Mine were below-average layers of medium sized eggs, unfortunately. And they came from MMM. They went to find new homes. Too bad, as mine were the Dark Brown Leghorn variety and were absolutely and completely gorgeous.
sad.png

Huh. Mine were the light browns, probably from MM. they laid great. Then, I also crossed them with my ee and got little hens with weird combs that laid huge light green eggs almost daily. They're still laying a few a week at I think 4&5 years old (maybe 3&4, thank you chemo-brain). Just depends, I guess. Thinking about it, the white one are the commercial strain, so they're probably better.

Back
Top Bottom