2 new questions

Huh. Mine were the light browns, probably from MM. they laid great. Then, I also crossed them with my ee and got little hens with weird combs that laid huge light green eggs almost daily. They're still laying a few a week at I think 4&5 years old (maybe 3&4, thank you chemo-brain). Just depends, I guess. Thinking about it, the white one are the commercial strain, so they're probably better.

Aren't chickens just plain weird? You just never know with them. The two brown Leghorns in question didn't lay their first egg until they were 55 months old, either.

I do love MMM EEs, though. They lay better than any EEs from any other hatchery I've tried. They lay as well as my RSL.

Aren't chickens just plain weird? You just never know with them. The two brown Leghorns in question didn't lay their first egg until they were 55 months old, either.

I do love MMM EEs, though. They lay better than any EEs from any other hatchery I've tried. They lay as well as my RSL.
Mine too! That's why it seemed so weird the last spring when everyone's ee weren't laying until like 28 weeks. Mine have always been little laying machines. I guess I just like MM hatchery!

Mine too! That's why it seemed so weird the last spring when everyone's ee weren't laying until like 28 weeks. Mine have always been little laying machines. I guess I just like MM hatchery!

It's my favorite, too.
smile.png
Wish they were closer. I buy a lot of stock from Meyer just because they are within driving distance.

Maybe. In my experience, the colored Leghorns don't lay nearly as well as the white, commercial variety. Mine were below-average layers of medium sized eggs, unfortunately. And they came from MMM. They went to find new homes. Too bad, as mine were the Dark Brown Leghorn variety and were absolutely and completely gorgeous.
sad.png

that's fine by me.. they are really pets for me and have no idea what I will do with a dozen eggs a day anyhow! She is really pretty..but why do they lay white eggs when they are from they are from the rainbow layer assortment I wonder? I was hoping for prettier eggs lol!

that's fine by me.. they are really pets for me and have no idea what I will do with a dozen eggs a day anyhow! She is really pretty..but why do they lay white eggs when they are from they are from the rainbow layer assortment I wonder? I was hoping for prettier eggs lol!

The rainbow layer assortment is just that--all the colors including white, various colors of brown, and green and/or blue.

You'll like having the white eggs. They make all the other colors in the carton POP! We sell rainbow dozens, and we always include some white eggs in the carton. The whole carton looks prettier.
smile.png

Last edited:
The rainbow layer assortment is just that--all the colors including white, various colors of brown, and green and/or blue.

You'll like having the white eggs. They make all the other colors in the carton POP! We sell rainbow dozens, and we always include some white eggs in the carton. The whole carton looks prettier.
smile.png
Ok, you sold me! hehe. I have 2 really white pullets as well, prob leghorns too! I should post some pics of the rest of the girls just to figure exactly what I have!

Just to confirm what many here have said already...

Shirley is a Light Brown Leghorn. As others have said, the white earlobes. And without doubt a pullet. Leghorns are hard to sex by their comb at a young age because pullets get pretty large combs too in this breed. And as others have said, the feather pattern/coloring give away it's sex. She'll give you white eggs.

And, yes, Fattie is an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers don't usually have very large combs. One of the best way to sex them that I've found is by their feathering. And yours looks like a pullet to me. She'll give you either an egg that's a shade of blue or green, likely. Or less likely pink or light brown. But you won't know her 'color' until she lays!

Back
Top Bottom