1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 of 5 new babies gone!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newchickmom, Oct 31, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They are only 1 week old! How stupid could I be? It's almost like they vanished into thin air, not a single clue as to where they went, but I think I know the guilty party.

In the mornings, I let the chickens out when I go out to feed the horses before going to work. The cat and the kitten follow me to the barn. This is usually about 6:30am, so it is still quite dark. I suspect our 12wk old kitten slipped under the run gate and got the little ones. The kitten is black so this would be quite easy for her to do, I just didn't think she would have the nerve to go in there and I certainly did not think she would fit under the gate. I have since fixed the gap so, hopefully I won't be missing any more chicks when I get home this afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    That's really sad! Sorry for your loss.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawwwwww sorry for your loss....that cat would be getting a hose down when it went near there. LOL

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are you sure it was the kitten and not some pred during the night? Rats have been known to take chicks when they are young.

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    That is sad.... [​IMG]

Sorry....

((HUG))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by