2 of my beloved Hens dead after Permectrin treatment for mites!!! :(

fourgirls4us

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
I am soooo angry! My 2 most favorite chickens ( we have 12) have died after we discovered they had mites and the man at the feed store recommended we treat with Permectrin. First we power washed the whole coop till it was sqeaky clean , we took the chickens out for a day and then sprayed it with the Permectrin solution as directed on the bottle. The next day we treated the chickens by spraying them under their feathers with a few squirts each ( it called for 1 ounce per chicken) . The next day they were STILL. Crawling with mites but 1 of my chickens seemed sick, could barely walk and died 48 hrs later! The next day another chicken same thing. And what angered me the most is the mites didnt die but the chickens did! WTH??!! Has this happened to any of you before? I thought this was safe and I know we mixed it right. This was our first time using this as we are new chicken owners as of Febuary this year...thought we were doing everything right as our chickens seemed very happy and healthy! Help anyone!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure to do about the birds being sick, but I can tell you that to get rid of the mites you can go to Tractor Supply or another farm/feed/garden store and pick up some Sevin 5% Dust. It's in a red container. Dust the birds with it, either by putting some in old nylons and using the nylons as a powder puff all over their body, or by filling a small bag with Sevin, putting the bird in leaving just its head out, and gently shaking the bag so the dust goes all around the bird. I like the nylon method and I've done it myself so I know your birds won't die.

Sounds like spraying them directly with it did them in. The active ingredient shouldn't be that toxic but uses petroleum distillates as an emulsifier/solubilizer so the "inactive" ingredients may actually be more dangerous than the active ingredient. They do say not to inhale it or allow it to contact the skin (for humans). Who told you to apply it directly to the birds?

I am soooo angry! My 2 most favorite chickens ( we have 12) have died after we discovered they had mites and the man at the feed store recommended we treat with Permectrin. First we power washed the whole coop till it was sqeaky clean , we took the chickens out for a day and then sprayed it with the Permectrin solution as directed on the bottle. The next day we treated the chickens by spraying them under their feathers with a few squirts each ( it called for 1 ounce per chicken) . The next day they were STILL. Crawling with mites but 1 of my chickens seemed sick, could barely walk and died 48 hrs later! The next day another chicken same thing. And what angered me the most is the mites didnt die but the chickens did! WTH??!! Has this happened to any of you before? I thought this was safe and I know we mixed it right. This was our first time using this as we are new chicken owners as of Febuary this year...thought we were doing everything right as our chickens seemed very happy and healthy! Help anyone!
it states a 1/2 oz per bird. And u said u put a 1 oz on each of them. If this killed the birds . It may be from to much on them. Idk but please look it up i also downloaded a photo of the mixture 2 oz mixed with 3 gallons of water. Spray 1/2 oz of mixed with water on birds. ..
Screenshot_20180914-104547.png

I use permethrin and mix it with water to spay for mites. I takes repeated spraying because it doesn't kill the mite eggs but I got rid of my mites. This year was the first time my birds had mites. I cleaned all of my coops even though only one coop had mites in it but I didn't want the mites to spread to the other coops so I sprayed them all weekly for awhile. No more mites.
PermethrinSpray.jpg

Well, I'm not sure to do about the birds being sick, but I can tell you that to get rid of the mites you can go to Tractor Supply or another farm/feed/garden store and pick up some Sevin 5% Dust. It's in a red container. Dust the birds with it, either by putting some in old nylons and using the nylons as a powder puff all over their body, or by filling a small bag with Sevin, putting the bird in leaving just its head out, and gently shaking the bag so the dust goes all around the bird. I like the nylon method and I've done it myself so I know your birds won't die.
I used to use Sevin in my vegetable garden till I discovered it is very toxic.

I used to use Sevin in my vegetable garden till I discovered it is very toxic.

I've used Sevin on my birds several times with no ill effects. In fact, until recently it was approved by the FDA for use on poultry here in the US, and still is in Canada. Nowadays I just treat them with Ivermectin if I see lice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom