2-part question: Strange hen behavior/Ugly the Rooster

Kellichick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
Troutman
I had my 2 oldest hens (one is 14 months old and the other is 11 months old) with a rooster for the past several months. The rooster chose one of the hens over the other and was a very "aggressive" lover. I decided, for her sake, that I would give him away, especially since I have a RIR roo coming up in my young flock that's 4 months old. I figure the new roo could take over handling all the ladies - my 2 older hens and the 10 that he's been raised with. Now here are the questions....

The hen that was the former rooster's 'chosen one' has become very aggressive to other chickens since he's been gone and she is also making crowing sounds. What is this behavior about? Will the new roo be able to chill her out so that she may join the flock?

The new roo is 4 months old and has never made a sound. I need to mention that when he was about 6-8 weeks old, he became very ill. I thought for sure that he would die, because I had lost one in the same manner just a week before. Somehow, he pulled through. He was always a little ugly, half-way feathered and all, so we named him 'Ugly'. Now, he's one of the prettiest and biggest RIR's I've ever seen, but he's silly and goofy. When will he begin to crow?

I've learned that roosters crow when they feel like crowing, at any age, at any time of day, anywhere.

and at night...
hmm.png

I guess I'm just worried his illness 'took' his voice and, also, I'm really hoping that he'll be able to straighten out my hen problem.

Back
Top Bottom