2 Polish, 1 Frizzle, girls or boys?

Hayley G

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Hello I have 2 polish chickens that I believe are around 10 weeks old, one frizzle, one not. Any guesses on gender? They have been 'jumping' at each other recently and I'm wondering if they're both roosters.. oh I hope not as I'm in the city.
Any help appreciated as I will need to rehome if they're roos,
Thanks!

Hayley

22267_img_9889.jpg

22267_both_birds.jpg

22267_frizzle_polish.jpg

The frizzle is definitely a roo. The other one looks like its growing wattles, so it might be maturing into a rooster too. Does it have a comb or little pink bumps sprouting up where the comb should be? Sometimes you have to part the crest feathers to find it. If so then it's a roo too! If not then it could be a pullet...just keep an eye on those wattles to see if they stay the same or start growing larger and more red.

My Polish (and other cresteds also) don't get wattles and combs unless they are roos. The hens get a slightly reddened comb area and tiny tiny pale wattles right before they start to lay.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep. Polish hens take a REALLY long time to develop actual wattles. That's half the reason I say both roos...

To contradict myself
lol.png
I have this bird, was supposed to be a Crevecoeur but looks kind of like it's crossed with a Polish. It has a very rounded pullet crest, acts like a pullet, peeps like a pullet, legs like a pullet...yet it has tiny wattles and it has had them since 7 weeks old. (11 or 12 weeks old now.) They are peach towards the beak and slightly pink towards the back of the head. It's so strange! The wattles haven't grown at all since they appeared either.

When I first saw the wattles I thought it must be going roo on me, but since the wattles haven't grown at all or reddened completely I am so confused! My mystery bird has no comb at all, I check every day lol. I was thinking about it and this the Polish in the first picture kind of reminds me of my bird's little wattles, though my bird's wattles are slightly smaller than those.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I went and checked for combs and didn't see any on either, though the frizzle has red skin the same color as its wattle all around the beak area. Nothing that red on the other one. Here's hoping that one is a hen. What age do the normally start crowing?
Thanks again.
Hayley

My Polish roo crowed for the first time around 15 or 16 weeks but didn't start regularly crowing his head off until closer to 21 weeks. By the time they start crowing they should have a spiked crest and probably have obvious roo looking tail feathers and a big comb.

That frizzle one is so cool, but I like them both! Makes me jealous lol. Maybe everything will work out for you, though.

Back
Top Bottom