2 Questions regarding sour and impacted crop

Karen Jean

Hatching
May 5, 2020
What is the purpose of the olive oil? Helping ingredients breakdown or slide out?

How long theoretically before the sour impacted crop becomes toxic?

What is the purpose of the olive oil? Helping ingredients breakdown or slide out?

How long theoretically before the sour impacted crop becomes toxic?
Oil is used to hopefully help break things up and get it moving.
Don't know about how long it would be before it turns toxic. I recommend that you read this article on crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I just happened to see that you have another thread about your hen. Forgive me for just skimming it, but something you mention in there that caught my eye was you feel she has reproductive issues. Very likely from your description.
Often a crop issue is a symptom of something else going on. If your hen is having reproductive problems, then sometimes it's hard to resolve crop issues.
From photos, she's not passing much.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I have read the posted article and have referred to it many times during this. I do believe the issue is reproductive because of the soft shelled eggs and the fact she is a hybrid. My goal is really just to keep her as comfortable as possible until I feel she is past hope.

Yes, I started antifungal 3 days ago. Thats the only thing I am sure that I'm doing right.:rolleyes: it still feels squishy
I probably wasted a lot of precious time trying to research how to handle it. There are so many different treatments and opinions its very overwhelming. You say not to massage it...I have been because I was trying to move things along, but I see thats not helping so I have stopped. Is that because of aspiration?

Back
Top Bottom