2 Roosters, 5 hens, 7 pullets

Attachments

• IMG_8020.jpeg
    IMG_8020.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 13
It will be fall by the time they will be old enough to be integrated. They get full access to the yard during the day during the summer.
So you're selling some of the birds before winter? Or I'm not sure what this means. They need at least 10 sq ft in outdoor space (I'd advise closer to 15-20 per bird) during waking hours all year round. Winter is often the worst for behavioral issues.
Just not sure of the lowest temp they can be out yet.
Can't answer that without knowing the ages of the younger birds. One point of reference, I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s.

So you're selling some of the birds before winter? Or I'm not sure what this means. They need at least 10 sq ft in outdoor space (I'd advise closer to 15-20 per bird) during waking hours all year round. Winter is often the worst for behavioral issues.

Can't answer that without knowing the ages of the younger birds. One point of reference, I have 4 week olds off heat at mid 40s.
No, I just live in New England and we get cold winters. Would putting artificial lighting in and replacing the built-in windows to let more light in help? My only concern is the outdoor temp that time of year and how much cold they can tolerate.

Then you're going to want a lot of space in the coop, unless you have a large run that can be weather proofed, for those nasty storms and/or frigid temps that can go on for days.
The coop is ~8x8 and the secure run is an additional 3 feet out. Thoughts on how much more space i should add?

No, I just live in New England and we get cold winters. Would putting artificial lighting in and replacing the built-in windows to let more light in help? My only concern is the outdoor temp that time of year and how much cold they can tolerate.
You're looking at 8 sq ft plus per bird inside the coop if you're not letting them out in winter. That's what some folks in Alaska or other extreme arctic climates have set up.

"Cold" varies a lot by personal definition. How cold does it get (real temp, not wind chill) in winters at your location?

The coop is ~8x8 and the secure run is an additional 3 feet out. Thoughts on how much more space i should add?

You're looking at 8 sq ft plus per bird inside the coop if you're not letting them out in winter. That's what some folks in Alaska or other extreme arctic climates have set up.

"Cold" varies a lot by personal definition. How cold does it get (real temp, not wind chill) in winters at your location?
Maybe I missed something, title say 14 birds?
8sqft per bird in coop would be great!

I’m in Massachusetts, and the coldest it ever got last winter was -5, which is rare. Usually temps are between 20-30f, but do regularly go down into the teens. Anything below 10 is a rarer occasion, happens a handful of times a winter. But most days will be between 20-30f

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Massachusetts

Back
Top Bottom