2 Roosters, 5 hens, 7 pullets

I’m sorry, I just reread the last paragraph of your post. I missed the part where you said you have a meat bird you don’t intend to use for meat. Depending on the breed you need to keep a serious eye on that one then. Most commercial meat breeds are heavily selected for that purpose. They will over eat to the point they will have heart attacks, break their own legs due to weight, etc. if it’s a dual purpose, you’re probably fine. But if it’s strictly a meat bird you may have to re-examine your expectations.

People have strong opinions on this site regarding Roos and flock management.

You said you started with 7 birds and are able/willing to add 7 more? Sounds to me like you’re well set up for one happy roo with 12 hens.

I wouldn’t expect to keep the meat bird long term. Nor would I expect her to raise babies.

I would think that if you have a good strategy to integrate the 7 new pullets with the 3mo old birds and reduce your rooster population to one, you have a good foundation.
Yeah I have a big coop (repurposed plastic 8x8 shed, surprisingly sturdy), plus a 4x8ft secure run, then a general yard I put them in almost every day when I’m home.

I’ve heard they don’t live long, but I got her and the roos free from my vet science program. The roos are also apparently from the same breed, but since they aren’t as heavy I have to assume they have a better lifespan. If one dies, I’m sure I can find someone willing to give me a rooster.

I want to make sure the one I keep is one that the hens like. Any tips on identifying which roo they seem to like? I’ve been watching how they react when a roo tries to mount and where the roos are roosting as my guide, but I haven’t seen anything telling me they favor one over the other yet. One roo has more iridescent feathering, but I have no idea if that translates to them liking him better.

Yeah I have a big coop (repurposed plastic 8x8 shed, surprisingly sturdy), plus a 4x8ft secure run, then a general yard I put them in almost every day when I’m home.

I’ve heard they don’t live long, but I got her and the roos free from my vet science program. The roos are also apparently from the same breed, but since they aren’t as heavy I have to assume they have a better lifespan. If one dies, I’m sure I can find someone willing to give me a rooster.

I want to make sure the one I keep is one that the hens like. Any tips on identifying which roo they seem to like? I’ve been watching how they react when a roo tries to mount and where the roos are roosting as my guide, but I haven’t seen anything telling me they favor one over the other yet. One roo has more iridescent feathering, but I have no idea if that translates to them liking him better.
It’s not really a “hens like him” thing. As has been said on this thread, chickens aren’t like us/dogs/etc. I think more important is identifying one rooster you like/can live with. Usually Roos and hens can learn to get along. There are definitely badly behaved Roos that need to go away for the good of the flock. But, in my experience, if you can get along with them the hens find a way to too.

And yes. If both of the Roos are meat birds, and they both exceed their life span, AND you’re compelled to add a roo back to the flock (which isn’t necessary) you should be able to find one online and nearby for free (or next to free).

Can you post some pictures? Male meat birds as in Cornish cross, should have died by now... it might be a ranger cross, or more of a dual purpose breed.

As long as things are getting along, you can leave them be. But once they start not getting along you need to do something ASAP. You need that plan B set up and ready to go.

I do this hobby myself, so I have tried to cobble things together, and really that doesn't work too good. Without wood - do you have a barrel or a doghouse? A lot of people keep tethered roosters in front of a barrel with an opening cut out, and a stick inside as a roost. A dog house with a kennel will work too. Ideally, it would be best to be out of sight of the hens, but maybe it would work without that.

How attached are you? I think the easiest thing to do, would be let these boys go. Raise up your pullets and chicks, and get a year old rooster locally in about 3-4 months. Ideally one raised in a multi-generational flock, with the same type of predators that you have. These type of roosters tend to be more aware and have had flock training. It is easy to get roosters, often times with an established multi-generational flock, raise up some boys each year as a spare. One that is such a good rooster, that the owner (who would have culled him if he wan't) is the rooster you should add.

Just being a rooster, does not make for a good rooster. A flock master is largely the luck of the draw but being raised in an proper chicken society can really help, and a lot of roosters never turn out good no matter how they are raised.

Mrs K

Not sure of exact hatch date, but they are still fluffy and sma

ll. And trying to eat sawdust which I‘m doing my darnedest to keep them from doing since I have no access to bigger shavings. Let me get a photo, was going to upload one but I don’t see catbox.moe as a file host option.
Eating the saw dust can lead to impaction, so provide some chick size granit grit to allow for better digestion and maybe use an old bedsheet or similar as bedding for a week until they have learned what to eat and how their feed looks

Coop isn't an issue for the number of birds you have. The run could be a massive problem if they don't have access to the yard all waking hours as they grow, especially during integration. 4x8 is enough for 3 adult hens. Even if you have a large yard, if they only have access some of the time you will still run the risk of behavioral issues that arise from crowding.

I am thinking along slightly different lines from other people. I think it could work out, but you would need to separate both cockerels in to a bachelor flock until are your girls have grown up.
They should get on fine like that, and the pullets can mature in peace. Then, once they are all laying eggs, or there abouts, introduce both cockerels back, and see if they get on, which imo there is a very good chance they will.
I have found that being raised together does make a big difference.
Just never, ever separate them, as then you have blown your chances of making it work. Maybe down the line they won't get on, or maybe they will over mate the girls, so you do need a plan b, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it work, if you want to.

I am thinking along slightly different lines from other people. I think it could work out, but you would need to separate both cockerels in to a bachelor flock until are your girls have grown up.
They should get on fine like that, and the pullets can mature in peace. Then, once they are all laying eggs, or there abouts, introduce both cockerels back, and see if they get on, which imo there is a very good chance they will.
I have found that being raised together does make a big difference.
Just never, ever separate them, as then you have blown your chances of making it work. Maybe down the line they won't get on, or maybe they will over mate the girls, so you do need a plan b, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to make it work, if you want to.

Two Roos over 11-12 hens seems like a bit much, but you’re not wrong.

Maybe, or maybe not.
I don't have any trouble keeping 5 or 6 hens to one rooster and some people keep pairs.
Its largely down to how good the roosters are, which is as yet unproven.

With my backyard flock anything less than one roo over five seems suboptimal. I’ve never kept two. So, a lot of this is speculative on my part. Everyone in my yard has seemed most happy with one roo and approximately 8 hens.

You’re right though, birds have very different personalities. Your mileage may vary.

I would like to hear what OP decides to try and how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom