2 roosters and one hen isn't working, should I remove or process one?

jbreece

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
I am a new chicken owner and have been reading the forums alot. I bought 3 chicks from local General store on March 21st. The employees said they didn't know what gender, age or kind they would be. Now I definitely have 2 roosters and 1 hen. One of the roosters has been mating with her and now her legs are swollen and bold-legged. Today she was constantly running away with alot of wing flapping, it was very sad to watch. We want eggs. Do I process one or both of the roosters? I also want 2 more hens do I keep one to protect them or will they be okay with no rooster around?
Thanks,
husband,wife, 2 girls,1 boy, a chihuahua, and 3 beautiful rhode island red chickens!

everything depends on how you are housing them. if you want eggs and have a big enough coop then by all means get more ladies, but you do not need a rooster to have eggs. i have 5 hens, and no roosters, as I can not have them where I live, and 2. I hate to see my girls torn apart by the mating. Roosters really are no protection LOL, a wolf, coyote ,dog snake etc. will feast on him.

I was also told I had all hens from an online store got at 2 days old in March there are three roosters and 12 hens Having problems and they are coming up on 17 weeks they have started picking on hens terribly they grab them by the heads lots of screaming and then sit on there backs till they stop then get off Is this mating. Will probably have to get rid of them. Didn't want roosters but have a hard time parting with them as I have raised them from day 2. If I can't find a good home for them they will have to be destroyed this week. Some things I have read say you can keep them all together but one rooster who has been the most agressive is now missing a few tail feathers. Not sure what to do Help Is there ahumane way to kill them if I have to?
sad.png

welcome-byc.gif
If you are limited in the number of chickens that you can keep, get rid of both roosters and get more hens. As you have already witnessed roosters fighting over and gang breeding a hen can cause severe damage if not fatalities. A generalized ratio is 1 rooster to 10 hens and sometimes with that ratio there is still abuse. The larger the rooster the greater the possibility of damage to the hens. You do not need a rooster to get eggs as a matter of fact the stress caused by excessive badgering of the hens by roosters can reduce egg production. I would separate the hen away from the roosters immediately. Good luck.

What everyone else said about the hens is right, But if you want a roo for protection than that is your choice. I have 2 standard roos and one bantam roo in with my hens. The bantam roos are good alarms but the other roos are just there for breeding/looks lol. They do not over breed my hens and life is good. NOW I did have 2 roosters that even when they were the only roo in the coop over bred my hens and hurt them a lot. This decision comes to you. If you want to keep a roo (that is totally fine, I actually like my roos
wink.png
) But you need to make sure he will not over breed. If you get a few more hens and really like one of ur roos and he can behave himself that is great. If you want a roo and both of your boys are a little well...misbehaven...then maybe look somewhere else for a roo.

Having them is not bad, just have to make sure he can behave himself around you and your hens. Good Luck

BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
With only one hen, you don't need any roosters. You don't NEED a rooster at all really, unless you want the babies. Get more girls, you can always get a rooster later if you really want one.

Thank you for all of the great advice. I woke up the next day and she had a small wound on her left wing where he was digging his claws in her. I have been keeping it clean with hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. I have left the roosters out of the roost to fend for themselves. We live on about 2 acres with a big cotton field behind that and they seem fine. I will be adding one or two more hens soon for eggs and company. I will probably wait until she is healed and walking a little better. Her legs are still swollen and hot but she is eating, pooping and walking well. When will she start producing her first eggs?

Back
Top Bottom