2 roosters dead

I can post a picture of the coop and the chickens if that would give a better idea of it. I have been trying to get them in the sprinkler frequently but they didn’t really like it. I think I need to get a larger water container so they don’t run out as frequently. But the older hens I’ve had for over a year and they have a similar set up. A snake is a huge possibility. I once found a small hole about a half inch around in the netting and it could’ve been from a snake. Also I used to see mice but not anymore so the snakes could be eating the mice too.
Some snakes don't just kill to eat, they kill to kill. They will either vomit the animal back up to just kill something else, or they will leave the corpse and kill another. Either way snakes have been known to do that. I am not saying that a snake did it, but if there are no visible signs of injury, that is a possibility of death. Along with just the heat, chickens put off a lot of heat you put that with several chickens, and the 90 degree weather, death happens even at the attempt of the owner to keep them cool. I don't like to force my chickens to get wet, because they usually dont like it, but if it keeps them from getting to hot, by golly i'll do it regardless of how they like it. Life is better then making them mad at you for a couple hours lol.

So the males were not penned up?

Yeah those coops are not secure against predators. Have you heard of an anti-dig apron?
I haven’t heard of that. Is it something worth doing?

They free range most of the time. I lock them in there only at night. Some nights if they’re not back in the coop and I can’t get them to go back inside I did let them stay out but they were normally fine. My brother suggested that I put the whole thing into a concrete slab I’m not sure how to do that though.

A short video showing one....

I prefer to get 3' wide and run 12" up and 2' out.

landscape edging pins are good to hold it down while grass grows up through to secure it even better.

look for narrow LONG ones like these.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/col-met-10...MI26zqteuN5AIVksVkCh1T_A2_EAQYASABEgIITfD_BwE

Ones like these are not effective as they can be pulled up very easily.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI26zqteuN5AIVksVkCh1T_A2_EAQYByABEgI2VfD_BwE
Thank you so much that seems like it’d make it a lot more secure.

I haven’t heard of that. Is it something worth doing?

They free range most of the time. I lock them in there only at night. Some nights if they’re not back in the coop and I can’t get them to go back inside I did let them stay out but they were normally fine. My brother suggested that I put the whole thing into a concrete slab I’m not sure how to do that though.
If you free range your chickens, the best thing to do is start feeding them in the evening time before dark so they can eat it, But it will help get them in the coop at night. Unless they can fly and roost in trees its not suggested you leave them out at night under any kind of circumstance (and even then i still wouldn't suggest it, because depending on your environment there are preds that can get access to trees). Using an apron is good too, however you need to have them an sturdy coop that you can either buy or build yourself where they can stay at night. Chickens do not flee at night when a pred comes in there, so.. its not hard for one to just pick them off. A shed or anything of that sort is good enough to keep your birds in at night, basically just something where they can roost for the night and stay safe til morning when you let them out again. Chickens are not hard to train, and with food and special treats even, if you don't want to put feed in there at the evening time (meal worms work wonders! :D) Anyway its a suggestion :) Good luck and i am sorry for your loss. I love my birds and a loss is heart breaking no matter how or why or who it happens to. :D

A short video showing one....

I prefer to get 3' wide and run 12" up and 2' out.

landscape edging pins are good to hold it down while grass grows up through to secure it even better.

look for narrow LONG ones like these.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/col-met-10...MI26zqteuN5AIVksVkCh1T_A2_EAQYASABEgIITfD_BwE

Ones like these are not effective as they can be pulled up very easily.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI26zqteuN5AIVksVkCh1T_A2_EAQYByABEgI2VfD_BwE
Them work wonders against most predators, however if a snake can get under your coop, that will not keep them safe. The best thing to do in that circumstance is if you have a raised coop, i suggest you put tin guards around the bottom to keep snakes out. A snake can fit into anything they can get their heads in. But the best defense is of course having a proper coop to keep them in at night.

Them work wonders against most predators, however if a snake can get under your coop, that will not keep them safe. The best thing to do in that circumstance is if you have a raised coop, i suggest you put tin guards around the bottom to keep snakes out. A snake can fit into anything they can get their heads in. But the best defense is of course having a proper coop to keep them in at night.

Yeah snakes are an interesting creature. They climb too.

I posted the shortest clip I found that showed good layout. I didn't pay that much attention to the size of the mesh.

I would recommend using 1/2" mesh to keep more variety of predators out.

Back
Top Bottom