2 Roosters Have Arrived !

So will you just isolate the black for a month when you want to breed the lav?
Probably not, I'll play it by ear when I get closer I'll have to make the decision. If I don't it will be fun watching the hatch, supposedly the Black one does have Lav in him. First I need to make sure I can keep a rooster past a few months inbetween a coyote and the last one I am having some really shitty luck with keeping roosters. :he

T

I really have no desire to run separate pens. Besides if I isolated him I know for sure I would end up getting him his own girls.I think in the end I'll end up with 15-20 chooks I just wanted to stagger the ages alittle. Would in joy hatching a few of my own eggs in the spring. After seeing the barred lav out an about he really is a good looking boy.The picture doesn't do him justice. Who knew that having some chickens would be so addicting.
We all start out somewhere. Everyone is different with different ways and circumstances. I have several coops with pens. I love to breed.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

Handsome boys!

I wouldn't put 2 roosters with 10 hens. The roosters will feel like they have to compete and the hens may get over mated.

I kept 1 rooster with 3 hens and they all got along just fine. There wasn't any over mating etc. Now if I had added another rooster I'm sure that all would have changed.

Yeah yeah yeah words of wisdom. If I could only bring myself to listen at times. I seem to like to learn the hard way.
Romance meets Reality.
I feel a bit guilty at times that my birds are confined,
but they're all alive and seem pretty 'happy' and productive.

Handsome boys!

I wouldn't put 2 roosters with 10 hens. The roosters will feel like they have to compete and the hens may get over mated.

I kept 1 rooster with 3 hens and they all got along just fine. There wasn't any over mating etc. Now if I had added another rooster I'm sure that all would have changed.
To late now I have both, I will keep watch, it's ok I like chicken soup if all else fails.

Edit: After reading this some more I do NOT want to come off as if I don't care about the 2 Roosters I took in, I really do. I would really enjoy being able to keep both but if not I can't have my girls getting roughed up because of me wanting 2 Roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom