2 Roosters or 1??

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
Hello all,
I recently lost my rooster and I really want another. So I posted on Craigslist and received many replies. I have a Lavender Oprington hen in my flock. So I was offered by someone who has two brothers she hatched. Both are Lavender Opringtons, one is the traditional Lavender color with some light barring and the other to my understanding is also a pure Lavender Oprington but is black in color. I guess some of the Lavenders do in fact hatch black and they are still pure Lavender. Wouldn't mind having Lav.Orp. little chicks around next year. Apparently they get along great with each other and hang out together all the time. I believe they are roughly 6 months old. What say you??? Get them both or just one?? I personally wouldn't mind having both. I'd like to hear from you guys and gals about your "brother" rooster stories and how they worked out or didn't.:caf

Post pics... two sounds like a recipe ripe for over mating... more info needed... space available, how many hens, children... :pop

No, I don't think the black is pure for LAV... lave cross lav will give 100% lav. Lav cross anything else... lav will breed as black. It may pure for Orpington... but not for lav, is MY understanding.

I keep all my roosters in a stag pen with each other... they always work it out or someone goes to freezer camp. The young guys move in with the old guys before hormones hit because they are ALWAYS ready to mate before the are ready to got o freezer camp. I move them in or or out of my hen pen as desired to control genetic.

I would take the lav barred one or neither... :p Or maybe both and see which one works out best... attitude still has to change. 6 month old cockerels are NOT the same animal as a rooster. Will you be processing your extra boys if you hatch next year or trying to give them away? If processing... maybe use the the one that doesn't work out to try your hand before doing the ones you *may* feel more uneasy about doing after raising... or have another plan in place, to prevent injury to your hens.

Sorry for your loss, btw. :(

Many roosters can get along fine, or not it just depends on the individuals... concern is for the hens. Bringing any bird from someone else place always risk disease coming to yours.

Good luck. :fl

They get along bc they are still young really soon the competition will come about

You can get both but may need to keep one separate in a see no touch run.

I had a rooster who was great buds with another the second one got his hormones in and became a terror he went from buds to trying to kill his brother who had to hide behind a brick upside down to protect his head so then we separated them.

Post pics... two sounds like a recipe ripe for over mating... more info needed... space available, how many hens, children... :pop

No, I don't think the black is pure for LAV... lave cross lav will give 100% lav. Lav cross anything else... lav will breed as black. It may pure for Orpington... but not for lav, is MY understanding.

I keep all my roosters in a stag pen with each other... they always work it out or someone goes to freezer camp. The young guys move in with the old guys before hormones hit because they are ALWAYS ready to mate before the are ready to got o freezer camp. I move them in or or out of my hen pen as desired to control genetic.

I would take the lav barred one or neither... :p Or maybe both and see which one works out best... attitude still has to change. 6 month old cockerels are NOT the same animal as a rooster. Will you be processing your extra boys if you hatch next year or trying to give them away? If processing... maybe use the the one that doesn't work out to try your hand before doing the ones you *may* feel more uneasy about doing after raising... or have another plan in place, to prevent injury to your hens.

Sorry for your loss, btw. :(

Many roosters can get along fine, or not it just depends on the individuals... concern is for the hens. Bringing any bird from someone else place always risk disease coming to yours.

Good luck. :fl
I was told that both parents are both Lavender Oprington.
Also the breeder she got the eggs from also said this :
Both these roosters had the same lavender orpington parents. What I was told by the woman I got the eggs from was that these parents were pure english lavender orpingtons and that sometimes you might get an egg that hatches with a black chick -- this was called a lavender black cross, and would "strengthen" the genetics of the lavender flock. But he still has lavender genes. I guess it makes sense seeing that Lavender is a dilution of black.
Also 10 hens
Coop size = 128 sqft roughly 8x16
Run is up to = 2800 sqft depending if gardening season or not. When gardening season it's down to 1600 sqft. I also let them out from time to time.
Yes I have two kids under 6
I would use these birds for it's true purpose meat and eggs and even sell some.

Plenty of space, a little thin on the ladies but not too bad. I'd still try both if it was me but I don't have little kiddos that might get caught up in "rooster buisness". If you're sure your littles are safe you could still try it and at least see which one is better for you if they don't get along. Other option is to just choose one and try to mold his temperment if necessary, it might not be some are great straight out of the box.:)
I was told that both parents are both Lavender Oprington.
Also the breeder she got the eggs from also said this :
Both these roosters had the same lavender orpington parents. What I was told by the woman I got the eggs from was that these parents were pure english lavender orpingtons and that sometimes you might get an egg that hatches with a black chick -- this was called a lavender black cross, and would "strengthen" the genetics of the lavender flock. But he still has lavender genes. I guess it makes sense seeing that Lavender is a dilution of black.
Also 10 hens
Coop size = 128 sqft roughly 8x16
Run is up to = 2800 sqft depending if gardening season or not. When gardening season it's down to 1600 sqft. I also let them out from time to time.
Yes I have two kids under 6
I would use these birds for it's true purpose meat and eggs and even sell some.

Plenty of space, a little thin on the ladies but not too bad. I'd still try both if it was me but I don't have little kiddos that might get caught up in "rooster buisness". If you're sure your littles are safe you could still try it and at least see which one is better for you if they don't get along. Other option is to just choose one and try to mold his temperment if necessary, it might not be some are great straight out of the box.:)
I told her I would take both just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a big mistake. What's a good rooster to hen ratio?

Here is a picture of each one.
Effect_20181116_184759.jpg
Screenshot_2018-11-16-18-50-25.png

Back
Top Bottom