2 Strikes for Gretchen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tjwillis50, Apr 21, 2016.

1. tjwillis50

tjwillis50 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Logan, NM
    Gretchen was supposed to be a Gold Sex Link pullet... I'm pretty positive she's not a she, and I think the breed might be wrong too. The 3 other chicks purchased at the same time are all pullets and showing sex link coloring.

I'm just getting a handle on the sex link coloring phenomenon, so it's entirely possible I have this wrong...but my understanding is a male GSL should be a white chick? Gretchen (and yes, my daughter is insisting the name not be changed) looked just like 3 other GSLs we got, which is why I'm suspecting a different breed.

Any thoughts/ideas? Corrections/improvements to my understanding? lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Unfortunately Gretchen is probably a he. I'm not a pro on sex-linked traits so I can't say for sure on breed.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like he's a gold sexlink cockerel.
    I see three gold sexlink pullets in this picture, and one gold sexlink male on the far left. He was paler yellow than the warm golden color or the pullets.

4. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2 Golden sex link cockerels are white, while the pullets are golden.

5. tjwillis50

tjwillis50 New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Logan, NM
    Huh...now that you point it out, I can see a slight difference. I guess I was expecting a greater difference in color. Here's to learning!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by