~2 week old chick lethargic, breathing heavily

Katiefoo

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2022
1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

She is a ~2-week-old Golden Laced Wyandotte bought from Tractor Supply with 3 others from the "older chicks" section last week. She started out the same size as her "sisters" but is now noticeably smaller and thinner.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Today we noticed she was sort of squatting, wings held out somewhat, straining and breathing quickly. She was not eating or drinking as much as the others. She seemed to also have pasty butt, which I cleaned. She has gotten progressively worse through the day, barely drinking or eating. She is lethargic. She is asleep more than she is awake, and even sleeping she breathes rapidly. Tonight she started making a clicking sound when breathing. I keep offering her Sav-a-Chick water, which she is hardly drinking. When she does drink, she holds her mouth open for the first few breaths after each sip like she can't get enough air

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Since this morning

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, but I am worried and hoping she is not contagious

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Unsure if illness caused runtiness or vice-versa

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

All 4 chicks have been eating Purina Medicated Chick Crumbles and fresh water. I began offering the sick chick Sav-a-Chick today

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poops were normal until today - I have not seen her poop today

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Drops of electrolytes in water every hour, rest

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat myself if possible

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Chicks are housed in a large container with sand under a heat lamp in an outbuilding. I live in Florida and it has been warm but not hot out, and the chicks have been outside a few times for less than ten minutes at a stretch on soil.

We have a 1 week old golden laced Wyandotte doing the same thing. I read to give her egg yolk and milk but she’s not any better. How is yours?

Today we noticed she was sort of squatting, wings held out somewhat, straining and breathing quickly. She was not eating or drinking as much as the others. She seemed to also have pasty butt, which I cleaned. She has gotten progressively worse through the day, barely drinking or eating. She is lethargic. She is asleep more than she is awake, and even sleeping she breathes rapidly. Tonight she started making a clicking sound when breathing.
Pasty butt is deadly fast as it stops all the organs from functioning, keep it clear.

The clicking sound indicates that it probably inhaled water, maybe got bumped when drinking.. it's exhausting and hard to recover from when you can't catch your breath.

You might consider using Poultry Nutri Drench instead of that save a chick.. it's almost a miracle product that works rapidly. A drip below the nostrils will roll around into the mouth and be swallowed. Holding the chick with it's beak near a bend in your forefinger can help direct the drop where you want it.

She isn't "contagious" and all others will have already been exposed to anything she does have. As long is she is able to move out of the way when stepped on, I would not separate.

Noting the other main reason chicks would go off feed would be coccidiosis which CAN happen even using medicated feed. Your symptoms with the pasty butt and how she's laying there.. don't fit though in this instance.

We have a 1 week old golden laced Wyandotte doing the same thing. I read to give her egg yolk and milk but she’s not any better. How is yours?
Please start a new thread and get some way better advice! Whoever told you milk needs their head checked or a better poultry education. Are you in the US?

Welcome both of you to BYC!

I'm sorry you're having chick troubles and hope you get answers and they recover quickly! :fl

Pasty butt is deadly fast as it stops all the organs from functioning, keep it clear.

The clicking sound indicates that it probably inhaled water, maybe got bumped when drinking.. it's exhausting and hard to recover from when you can't catch your breath.

You might consider using Poultry Nutri Drench instead of that save a chick.. it's almost a miracle product that works rapidly. A drip below the nostrils will roll around into the mouth and be swallowed. Holding the chick with it's beak near a bend in your forefinger can help direct the drop where you want it.

She isn't "contagious" and all others will have already been exposed to anything she does have. As long is she is able to move out of the way when stepped on, I would not separate.

Noting the other main reason chicks would go off feed would be coccidiosis which CAN happen even using medicated feed. Your symptoms with the pasty butt and how she's laying there.. don't fit though in this instance.

Please start a new thread and get some way better advice! Whoever told you milk needs their head checked or a better poultry education. Are you in the US?

Welcome both of you to BYC!

I'm sorry you're having chick troubles and hope you get answers and they recover quickly! :fl
Hello! Thank your for the advice about NutriDrench! Unfortunately the chick passed a few hours after I posted this. I checked on her through the night and was trying to keep her hydrated, but it seemed more and more difficult for her to breathe and then it was all over. I'm going to send her off for a necropsy as I'm curious what happened and why she did not thrive like the others. I'll update my post when I find out.

Mine unfortunately lasted only a few more hours. I hope your chickie has something more "curable" ♥️

I lost a chick yesterday to the exact same symptoms you described. It seemed like she drowned in the end. I held her upside down to see if anything would clear her airway, white thicker liquid poured out but she still passed. Poor little thing. She wasn’t really growing like the others. The rest of the flock seem healthy and happy. Sorry for your loss.

Hello! Thank your for the advice about NutriDrench! Unfortunately the chick passed a few hours after I posted this. I checked on her through the night and was trying to keep her hydrated, but it seemed more and more difficult for her to breathe and then it was all over. I'm going to send her off for a necropsy as I'm curious what happened and why she did not thrive like the others. I'll update my post when I find out.
Any word on the necropsy?

Back
Top Bottom