2 week old chick peeping constantly & sleepy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catmage, Mar 24, 2018.

1. catmage

catmage Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    east TN/USA
    My little 2wk ish old polish chick is peeping constantly. She pecked and ate a small amount of chick crumbles on her own as well as some scrambled eggs (about the size of a us nickel). I have been making her drink Life-Lytes by putting droplets on her beak. I have not seen her poop. No poo on her vent. Her wings are drooping and she is very sleepy. She is peeping asleep and awake. She will flap and shriek when picked up until she gets comfortable on my finger.

I have her separated inside (the others are in the garage) with a comfort heating plate on pine shavings.

Attached Files:

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Get her some Corid ASAP. That looks like a chick sick with coccidiosis. Once they get to the point of not drinking on their own, they rarely survive.

jonalisa likes this.
  3. catmage

catmage Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    east TN/USA
    Can I give her a drop undiluted on her beak? Or do the 2tsp per 1 gal of water?

This is the bottle 9.6% liquid.

Thank you. I will treat my other chickies.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    2 tsp per gallon. Mix some of the treated water with her feed to encourage her to eat. And to get her to drink the treated water, gently dip her beak in the water. You'll have to keep doing it till she voluntarily swallows. Try to get her to eat and drink every hour or so.

5. catmage

catmage Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    east TN/USA
    She just ate the corid water/chick crumbles/scrambled egg mix voraciously. I couldn't get her to drink on her own, but she finally did poop. This is the first poo I've seen in about 4hrs. It ran down my pant leg, but didn't seem watery or foamy.

After all that eating she seemed sleepy, I put her back and she went under the plate.

Attached Files:

6. catmage

catmage Chirping

Mar 19, 2017
    east TN/USA
    She is eating, pooping, drinking, and zooming around the brooder. She and everyone else seem fine :)!

micstrachan likes this.
  7. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Remember to keep treating for a full five days. Glad that she pulled through.

micstrachan likes this.
  8. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Nice job, @junebuggena !
    Happy endings are awesome.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming