2 week old chick standing around with tail down... ??

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
I noticed today that one of my Dixie Rainbow chicks is standing around in corners puffed up with its tail down. I watched it for a while, and it's eating, drinking, and pooping normally, but is acting semi-lethargic. It's not sleepy-acting or anything, but it will walk a while and then stand still, puff up its feathers, and keep its tail way down.

Dixies are meat birds, so they have big thick legs, but this one's are smaller even than the egg layers' legs. But if it's legs were weak, wouldn't it sit down instead of standing up? This one is a lot smaller all around than the other Dixies that are the same age (I think maybe it's like a runt).

It's not cold - the temps have been up in the 80s and 90s lately - and they've got food and water all the time.

It's the only one doing this and it just started (that I've noticed) today. What could be wrong with it?

Sounds like the lil one just doesnt fel well.. i had a cornish x that did this as well.. I think its knees hurt but it hurt less to stand as I never saw this one sit .,..ever ... I would keep an eye on it .. Maybe seperate for a few days and add some scrambled eggs with shells to its feed and maybe some electrlotyes to see if that helps... Good luck

MAy I ask how you like the Dixie rainbows?? I am thinking to try then instead of cornish next time...

I separated her. (At least I'm assuming it's a her.
roll.png
) She really hates me now... She yelled so loud! And I felt really bad...
Anyway, I put some sugar in her water and scrambled an egg and put some in her food. Problem: She didn't like it at all and dug it out so she could eat the food plain. I don't know how much of the water she drank. She was acting so upset that I put her back in with the others this morning. (She was in a cardboard box with newspaper and wood shavings put inside the chick pen with a crate lid on top.) She is much happier now. Still puffing her feathers up and her tail is still down, but she's moving around more. Her legs are not fat like the others' are - they're actually rather skinny I think. Could that be a reason she's not feeling well?
Quote:
I'm liking them very much. They're only 3 weeks old on Tuesday, so I can't say much else. But they're very friendly. They are greedy little things though... I have to fill up both of their feeders about 3 times a day.
roll.png
I suppose it's probably normal, with 28 chicks, of which all but 2 are meat/dual-purpose. But from my experience so far, I'd recommend them. I've seen CornishX's at 1 week, and they were the same size as my 2 1/2 week old Dixie's and Rangers. Mine are supposed to reach market weight at 12 weeks. (Except Midget, the one who's not feeling well. She's too small, and I doubt if she'll get big like the others by 12 weeks.) These are our first meat birds, so I have to remind myself that they're all named Dinner.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom