2 week old Chick Wheezing/Crackling & Now nasal discharge

danceonweeds

Chirping
Mar 17, 2017
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hope this finds everyone staying healthy during this crazy time.

Two weeks ago we adopted 9 chicks. We got 4 Americana and 1 Red Sexlink from a local feed store. We also got 2 Fayumi & 2 Sumatra from Wilco.

They were all vaccinated against Mericks, and less than a few days old. They have been kept inside under heat lamp in a 4ft × 2ft rubbermaid and a mixture pf pine shavings and pellets. They are fed organic Scratch & Peck chick started and have four or five drops of NutriDrench mixed in their quart waterer.

The day after we drought them home, we found heard wheezing from the majority of them. This is when I started the NutriDrench. They are all doing well, normal stools and no other symptoms other than occasional crackling when sleeping.

However, yesterday one of the Sumatra, Pip who is the smallest, started gasping for air every few breaths. I though at first it was too hot, as we had the heater on high as well as the hear lamp. I changed the temps to be more manageable and they all spent under the heat lamp.

However, this am Pip has now started having clear discharge out of one nostril and his eye seems to be wet. Not bloody or color, just clear. None of the others have showed anything like this. She will still eat and drink and run around, but also scratched at that side of her beak and eye.

We are quarantined but there is a Tractor Supply close to us. Knowing this may be viral and abx wont help, I feel that if I dont try anything she isnt going to make it.

Advice from all you knowledgable chicken tenders?!

My plan was to get abx (RECOMENDATIONS ON TYPE OR DOSE?) and try treating all of them as well as adding in electrolytes to their water.

Side note: I had confirmation last year that my 12 outside flock has Mericks. We have a closed flock but wanted to try adding more hens, knowing the risk they will become infected/die. We have practiced safe bio security so as not to transfer it to the new chicks until they are older and put outside and hopefully benefiting from the vaccine.

Two weeks ago we adopted 9 chicks. We got 4 Americana and 1 Red Sexlink from a local feed store. We also got 2 Fayumi & 2 Sumatra from Wilco.
organic Scratch & Peck chick started
The day after we drought them home, we found heard wheezing from the majority of them.
However, yesterday one of the Sumatra, Pip who is the smallest, started gasping for air every few breaths. I though at first it was too hot, as we had the heater on high as well as the hear lamp.
4ft × 2ft rubbermaid
However, this am Pip has now started having clear discharge out of one nostril and his eye seems to be wet.
She will still eat and drink and run around, but also scratched at that side of her beak and eye.
My plan was to get abx (RECOMENDATIONS ON TYPE OR DOSE?) and try treating all of them as well as adding in electrolytes to their water.
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos?
How hot are you keeping the brooder - you have a heater and lamp?

If the eye is wet - do you see bubbles?

Could be respiratory disease - Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT and Infectious Coryza are some of the more common diseases that chickens can have. Depending on what it is, an antibiotic may help relieve symptoms. Most respiratory diseases do make birds carriers for life. Getting some testing from your state lab or through an independent lab to find out what you may be dealing with is a good idea. That may not be possible at this time with the shut down.

I would only treat birds that are symptomatic instead of all of them. Tylosin (Tylan) can be used to treat symptoms bacterial disease like Mycoplasma. Tetracyclines (and Oxy/Doxy) are effective as well. Tylan (Tylosin) was taken off the shelves in stores last year. I highly doubt you will find a suitable antibiotic to treat respiratory disease at Tractor Supply. You will need to order online. It sells out quick, so I would order asap. Looks like Jedds has it in stock (link below).

For an eye that is wet - clean and flush with saline and apply an eye ointment or plain neosporin. Do what you can to keep him eating/drinking. He needs to be warm, but no over heating.
Electrolytes are fine for a few days or you can direct dose him a couple of times a day with poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench to give a boost.

Are you providing chick grit (crushed granite)?

https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfmhttp://www.zoologix.com/
http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

UPDATE It has been about a month since this post and things have resolved. I changed from the rubbermaid tub to a wire cage inside. With so many chicks, the amount of dust they made and kicked up made the air terrible. With the new cage, they have better air flow but still no drafts. Tried pine pellets but they just rolled everywhere so switched to newspaper and potty pads. Easy to clean but gets dirty very quickly with everyone eating and pooping all the time.

I added Poultry Nutridrench to their water, they actually loved if I put in a drop, as they went straight for drinking it. Also added probiotics to their water every time I refill it. I started doing 1 drop of an eye drop, C-Bright, to sooth and moisturize. He is doing much better, just a lot smaller than everyone else. I wonder if he isnt a bantam that got lost on his way to the feed store.

Thanks for your help and hopefully this can help someone else.

Back
Top Bottom