2 week old chicks acting crazy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by deneaalicia, Nov 15, 2011.

1. deneaalicia

deneaalicia New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    Our Two week old chicks are acting crazy is this normal this is our first set of chick so we dont know what is normal. they all seem to be normal. We have six they are in a large brooder with a light on them. THey are jumping around and trying to fly all the time. We don't have any roosts in there...would that make a difference? It just seems like they are a little nutty for two weeks old [​IMG]

2. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    Haha! My chicks did that too! I just thought they were happy and healthy and glad to be alive. They grow up very fast so think of them as 5 year old kids with unlimited energy:weee

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Some of the boys start acting that way about that age. It is never too early it seems to start establishing their pecking order.

4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Lol they sound totaly normal to me.. [​IMG]. My 3 week old chicks run around stupid and jump up and down...i dont know about a perch mind, i have this chick feeder ball, you put chick crumb inside and the chicks are supposed to try and get the crumb out... Enjoy your baby,s ... Tracy xx

5. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Oh yes, they are playing, jumping around and exercising their wings. This is totally normal. They will also start jumping out of their brooder or roost on the edge if they are able.

I had two BO chicks get out of their box, destroy a houseplant, made a TOTAL mess, and then were back in the box by the time I got out of bed. I also returned home from the store one day to find "presents" on the kitchen and bedroom floor, but the chicks were in their box. [​IMG]

They are kinda sneaky lol

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Is the light white? Are they in a brightly lit room?

Lots of white, bright light seems to "activate" them, in my experience, while red lamp, darker room calms them down.

7. deneaalicia

deneaalicia New Egg

Nov 15, 2011
    ahhh thanks guys I knew you would ease my mind I was so worried that I was doing something wrong or they weren't getting something important...they are kind of stinkers aren't they!

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Punch holes in each side and put a stick or perch in there. The are playing the wing feathers are growing in the bodies are light and they get lift. I agree with Fred a couple posts up shift to a red heat light and they will calm down a lot. They are new babies and everything they do is a new experience. They are having fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by