2 week old chicks and runny poop, what to do

Chickylet

Chirping
Feb 19, 2018
MA
Hi all,
I have 8 chicks, got them as "day olds" on March 1st. So they're about 2 to 2-1/2 wks old. But someone in the group has really wet poops. Most of the poops look nice and firm and well formed but someone, and I don't know which, seems to have runnier ones. Used to be more runny, today seems to have a formed portion w/ runny included. Everyone appears to be eating and drinking ok, they're getting a tad aggressive (running at each other and breast pounding, jumping on each other), heat is now down to 80 degrees, they all seem to
move around the brooder ok, under the heat lamp at times and away from it. Is this something they'll outgrow or do I need to be concerned? They're eating medicated starter chick food, water w/ electrolytes. I did buy some "CORID" but haven't used it. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Elissa

I have been giving them chick grit. A small bowl w/ some in it, and I've been sprinkling it on their regular food too.

Go ahead and add the Corid to their water. If something is going around, it's best to treat all.

How exactly do I do this? I bought a 20% soluble powder. Do I mix in their regular water? The back of the package has a 5 day treatment, and a 21 day treatment. Wondering which directions I should follow. The directions are scary, Ive only got 8 chicks and the directions are for 125 gallons! Good Lord, that's ALOT OF WATER!

How exactly do I do this? I bought a 20% soluble powder. Do I mix in their regular water? The back of the package has a 5 day treatment, and a 21 day treatment. Wondering which directions I should follow. The directions are scary, Ive only got 8 chicks and the directions are for 125 gallons! Good Lord, that's ALOT OF WATER!

I think a table spoon per gallon will do. Also, try giving them some vegetables. Leafy greens are really good at that stage.

I just went back to your original message. Day old chicks. I would definitely old off on the grit. I would reintroduce the grit at 10 days or so.

My three chicks lay all kinds of poop. solid, watery, and foamy. I assumed that was normal. They eat and drink well and seem to be fine and full of energy. Mine are on medicated starter.

My three chicks lay all kinds of poop. solid, watery, and foamy. I assumed that was normal. They eat and drink well and seem to be fine and full of energy. Mine are on medicated starter.

That's how mine are. Some poops look perfect, solid and formed and some look foamy or just watery. And upon further watching, 1 chick can do all of the above. Maybe I'm being paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom