2 week old chicks displaying fighting behaviors

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
So have have 2 Easter egger chicks who I thought were female (wishful thinking though bc we hatched them out and have no way to know yet) but I noticed them displaying behaviors I didn’t remember at this age for my other older girls. I was looking at them this morning and they were fighting/showing dominance. They’d stand up super tall, each trying to fly on top of/higher than/over the other and moving around their area. They stopped after about a minute and one came up to me and stared into my eyes. My other girls (who I raised 9 months ago) only started their pecking order stuff at 5 or 6 weeks of age, when they were already out of the brooder! Is this rooster behavior? Can hens ever have this behavior? :idunno

So have have 2 Easter egger chicks who I thought were female (wishful thinking though bc we hatched them out and have no way to know yet) but I noticed them displaying behaviors I didn’t remember at this age for my other older girls. I was looking at them this morning and they were fighting/showing dominance. They’d stand up super tall, each trying to fly on top of/higher than/over the other and moving around their area. They stopped after about a minute and one came up to me and stared into my eyes. My other girls (who I raised 9 months ago) only started their pecking order stuff at 5 or 6 weeks of age, when they were already out of the brooder! Is this rooster behavior? Can hens ever have this behavior? :idunno
Please, post some pictures of them.

Pullets sometimes show dominant behaviour as well.
Are they being raised and kept entertained) by a broody or alone in a brooder?

It is normal chick behavior. Both males and females will do this.
Please, post some pictures of them.

Pullets sometimes show dominant behaviour as well.
Are they being raised and kept entertained) by a broody or alone in a brooder?
Do you want pictures of them fighting or… ?
6A1F1360-D0E5-410E-AC5A-25F5A6BE67EA.jpeg
5F00B245-6055-4A55-BE54-CE2B8082E36D.jpeg
1FDDA7CE-0404-4A43-9F96-1916EF8C7675.jpeg
F652072D-DBB9-441A-B077-47A41F0496E4.jpeg
EE197032-F3BF-4DF4-B2CA-E8E6019FB641.jpeg

This little one (who is named Pearl) always gives me a death stare. She even raised her head to be taller than her momma to see me!

Mine were pretty little when they started the chick staring contest with each other. The ones who did it the most turned out to be roosters. I wouldn't ever go solely by that to decide gender but it was true for mine.

Back
Top Bottom