2 week old chicks displaying fighting behaviors

I ended up with three but I'm very unlucky with straight run 😂
Now I only get pullets from a vet who breeds them.
I wanted to get a straight run sapphire gem when I was at tractor supply getting my original flock last year but I decided against it, thinking that I’d get unlucky. If these two little ones are roosters I’ll have to get rid of one or both of them… did you end up getting rid of your roos? If you did, how did you go about doing so? If I get only one cockerel and it’s nice and neighbors don’t complain (in my neighborhood it’s only allowed if neighbors don’t complain to the town) I’ll probably keep it and maybe even breed for eggs and chicks to give other people. Hopefully I get two pullets though! I read somewhere that when hens incubate, the eggs that contain males are less likely to hatch.

I wanted to get a straight run sapphire gem when I was at tractor supply getting my original flock last year but I decided against it, thinking that I’d get unlucky. If these two little ones are roosters I’ll have to get rid of one or both of them… did you end up getting rid of your roos? If you did, how did you go about doing so? If I get only one cockerel and it’s nice and neighbors don’t complain (in my neighborhood it’s only allowed if neighbors don’t complain to the town) I’ll probably keep it and maybe even breed for eggs and chicks to give other people. Hopefully I get two pullets though! I read somewhere that when hens incubate, the eggs that contain males are less likely to hatch.
I'm giving them back to the lady I got them from. I've seen a lot of people trying to give them away but not many wanting them. I would keep one but we're going to be moving by the end of summer and it's hard to find enough land for a rooster.
Having three of them has been rough!
One of them isn't too bad. I might consider keeping him as long as he doesn't get crazy like his brothers. I'm not planning on hatching any eggs so I don't need a rooster but he's pretty and kind of calm with the girls.

Update! I’ve been looking at the combs and thought the brown chick’s was looking much bigger. Any thoughts?
2960E957-2C8D-4B74-995E-0405CEB71C27.jpeg
E59110E6-32F5-4EE2-9507-11B90E012011.jpeg
B4223C36-76C1-4017-A818-DE6D242B5469.jpeg

I have 8 right now, 2 weeks old today, in a brooder box that I consider too small for them. Same behavior. All 8. Moved them out to a temporary tractor so they could get some soil experience, it largely (but not completely) abates.

Perfectly normal pecking order stuff. When they move to the grow out pen, MUCH larger, I'll see some more. Flock integration, I'll see some more. Onset of lay, I'll see some more. Roosters start to drop their crow and preen for the ladies... I'll see some more.

NOT limited to one sex. I find the girls are sometimes worse than the boys, actually.

Back
Top Bottom