2 Week Old RIR's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Year of the Rooster, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Could anyone please post a pic of their two week old RIR's so I can compare them to mine? We ordered it as a pullet from Ideal, but now I am having second thoughts. It is the biggest of our order and the only RIR so I can't compare it to any others. It is getting big FAST compared to the others. It has almost all of its feathers on its wings, starting to get some on its breast, and a nice clump of tail feathers. It still needs to feather out the saddle and neck feathers. Thank you! [​IMG]

P.S. I will TRY to get pics of it if I can figure out how.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If it has "almost all its feathers on its wings", then I would suspect a pullet; not a cockerel. The cockerels are usually very slow to feather out on the wings.
    I've sent you a PM on how to post pics.

3. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:If it has "almost all its feathers on its wings", then I would suspect a pullet; not a cockerel. The cockerels are usually very slow to feather out on the wings.
    I've sent you a PM on how to post pics.

Whew.. ok that makes me feel alot better. What was really worrying me the most was the comb. I looks bigger than the other standard breeds I ordered (BR, BA, EE) but maybe that is because it's just bigger? Thanks for the response [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You're welcome and check your PM for more tips. [​IMG]

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Thanks! I did. I appreciate it [​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Here's one of my RIR pullets at 12 days old, standing next to a GLW (I think cockerel).

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by