2 week old SexLink Male or Female?

dris73

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
Connecticut
I purchased six pullets at TSC almost 2 weeks ago. Three are sexlink and the other three are bantams. This is a pic of one of the two sexlink that I'm starting to question if it's a pullet like they said. Out of all the six pullets I bought two of the sexlink are growing tails slower and this is one of them. Any comments would be greatly appreciatedand thank you :) I can add more pics if you need me to

If she is indeed a red sex link, then it's definitely a girl. BUT I have never seen a sex link that looked quite like that. Can we get a shot of her face?

Does it have a red/brown spot on the tip of its beak? With those wing feathers it appears to be a rir/production red. The red sex links I've gotten from TSC started to feather in white on their wings before turning a reddish gold. I cherry picked my RSL out of a bin labeled only as "pullets". Were yours labeled "red sex links" of just "red pullets"? What does the other chick look like?

Doesn't really look like a sexlink but a production red. If a sex link, definitely female as the males feather in white with red in the wing areas.

I have issues with TSC and their "red pullets". I don't buy hatchery stock, not after having almost every one of my original hens nine years ago dying of internal lying, egg yolk peritonitis or reproductive cancer, and I certainly would like to know what breed it's supposed to be when I get it. And they tend to mix up the bins all the time, I've heard.

Last edited:
Doesn't really look like a sexlink but a production red. If a sex link, definitely female as the males feather in white with red in the wing areas.

I have issues with TSC and their "red pullets". I don't buy hatchery stock, not after having almost every one of my original hens nine years ago dying of internal lying, egg yolk peritonitis or reproductive cancer, and I certainly would like to know what breed it's supposed to be when I get it. And they tend to mix up the bins all the time, I've heard.
x2

Me: "I'd like some of those silkie chicks you have over there"
Useless TSC employee: "We don't carry Silkies, those are mixed bantams."

I, of course, educated him on the difference. He was grateful. He said, "Huh, we have people asking me all of the time if we have Silkies. I tell them we don't".

Quote:
Some days I think I'd love to educate those folks, maybe work during chick days but it's a lost cause. I would go insane and they'd have to put me in a rubber room after a day at TSC during Chick Days, I'm afraid. I do like to go sex the "straight run" Barred Rocks for folks, LOL. Makes the feed store folks a little nervous, thinking I'll sell off all the pullets and they'll be left with cockerels and lots of complaints later.
lol.png

Seriously, I'd open my wrists rather than buy chicks at TSC. No way on earth, partner. I can't stand that place on principle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom