2 week old sick chick

I don't have a picture of her poop. I could probably isolate her tomorrow until she poops, I would like her to be able to cuddle with her sisters tonight. Looking in the brooder now I only see solid poops, I did see one earlier that was runny but brown..but it looked like a cecal(spelling?) Poop picture I had seen. I haven't seen anything bloody. I don't have Corid, I will go to tractor supply in the morning and get chick grit and Corid. Hopefully she makes it through the night :( She seemed fine earlier today. Thank you for your help.
I would leave her with the others, it's stressful on them to separate. If you treat for Coccidiosis, then I would treat all the chicks in the same brooder.

There are several strains of Coccidia that affect chickens, only 2 of those strains present as bloody stool.

So she is still alive, we are about to head to tractor supply. I assume these are her poop, she was standing next to them. The one on the brick is the same consistency, it just hasn't been spread.
0528190750.jpg
One on the practice perch and one on the brick. Neither look good.

Last night I gave Miss Wing a baby syringe of kefir for some nutrition/liquid. Before I left this morning I gave miss wing a half a baby syringe of milk. She is now walking around and eating/drinking and preening herself. Could that thing she pooped out have been the cause of her issue? Her wings are still droopy. I didn't realize when I fed them tomato that the stem of the tomato shouldn't be given, and while it looked like it wasn't eaten maybe she ate some and got poisoned? Maybe she was just super constipated? I did get the powdered Corid and chick grit. Should I still give the Corid?

Last edited:
Re: the tomato... although feeding small quantities of ripe tomatoes to chickens is technically ok, they are part of the Nightshades family - which, plant, leaves and unripe fruit are toxic to chickens. For a baby chick, tiny body = magnified effect. I would not feed them any more tomatoes at least until they are full grown just to be safe. In the meantime that may not be what's happening here - but I agree definitely get them some grit and treating with Corid can't hurt. I'm treating my newbie flock right now too - just to be safe since one chick is presenting "unwell".

Hope she perks up for you.

Today was day 5 of the Corid, Miss Wing is doing great. She took a few days to perk up, but she is eating and drinking a lot and is active. I thought the chicks poops were solid before but they look even better now, I can tell all the poop did have more mucus pre-treatment, so I am glad I went ahead and treated them. I imagine there was an issue that was just being kind of held at bay by the medicated feed. I read that eating grass without grit commonly causes chicks to get constipated, and I did give them a clump of grass/dirt when they turned a week old without giving them grit (I had read that they needed grit, but then forgot about it). I think Miss Wing was suffering from that poor decision along with probable coccidiosis. I'm glad she is alive and well.
15594392805141920333118.jpg
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom