2 week old sneezer!

BabyBThatChick

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2024
I have a 7 baby chicks and one specifically seems to be sneezing. Today is the fourth day she is doing this. None of the other birds are sneezing at all but one other one was a little bit a few days ago but I'm not sure about now. ( I had a sick baby that we did wind up losing so I've been really busy with that) I have just been monitoring them for a little to see if it would go away maybe it was just dust from food or something but I don't think so at this point. They are in pine shavings.. Not too small.. If anyone has any advice on what I should do next that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Is her nose runny? Is she well otherwise? How big is your brooder? What are you using as a top? Do you have a photo of your set up?

Chicks make tons if dust because they are going through the molting stage and will molt 6 or 7 times until they are mature. So if the baby isn't showing any signs of illness, she's eating and drinking fine, then it could be all the dander.

We have them temporarily in an big glass tank with a top with the holes it's like an old reptile tank. I am actually out at work so I don't have a picture to send you at the moment.. Yes it must be running a little because she keeps wiping her nose on the shavings. Last night she looked a little off so I'm not sure if she is starting to feel a little lethargic so that's why I'm starting to worry a little but at the same time then she would just get up and look fine.. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Lol. But like I said before the others seem fine so.

All chickens will wipe their beaks on the ground to clean off water and food. How do her eyes look? Are there any bubbles or foam, or any swelling of an eyelid? Are there ammonia fumes in their brooder from droppings? They may need to have their bedding changed or cleaned out, and ventilation improved. Did you get the chicks from a breeder, the feed store or hatchery, or did you hatch them?

It's easy to worry about babies, I get up several times in the night to check on chicks. :D If they peep extra loud at any time, I am there! :D

Birds will wipe their beaks on things after eating but definitely check to see if her nose is running. Do you know what her poop looks like?

The top of your brooder should be completely open with the exception of chicken wire or hardware cloth or some sort of airy screen. Chicks need a lot of fresh air and oxygen. There is ammonia in poop and if it can't air off it can burn the lungs, eyes and effect the skin too. Definitely post a photo of your set up when you can.

Of course if she isn't eating, drinking or looks cold, then there is definitely something else going on.

All chickens will wipe their beaks on the ground to clean off water and food. How do her eyes look? Are there any bubbles or foam, or any swelling of an eyelid? Are there ammonia fumes in their brooder from droppings? They may need to have their bedding changed or cleaned out, and ventilation improved. Did you get the chicks from a breeder, the feed store or hatchery, or did you hatch them?
Yeah I know they wipe all the time but what I meant was after she sneezes she wipes so I don't know if it may be running a little but I don't see anything coming out. I got them from a feed store and we clean it every day every other day tops, but you may be onto something with the ventilation. When I got home yesterday and was hangin with them I did notice some dust on the sides so hopefully that's what's up cause I do get a sneeze every once in awhile from the others. I will clean it when I get home and work on something else to put them in.. Which I need a new one anyway because theyve already outgrown this! What do you suggest for a home? I could definitely use some advice about that. Thank you for helping me out!

Yeah I know they wipe all the time but what I meant was after she sneezes she wipes so I don't know if it may be running a little but I don't see anything coming out. I got them from a feed store and we clean it every day every other day tops, but you may be onto something with the ventilation. When I got home yesterday and was hangin with them I did notice some dust on the sides so hopefully that's what's up cause I do get a sneeze every once in awhile from the others. I will clean it when I get home and work on something else to put them in.. Which I need a new one anyway because theyve already outgrown this! What do you suggest for a home? I could definitely use some advice about that. Thank you for helping me out!
If you have a dog crate laying around, I have found that they make great brooders! I have also used a plastic tote with wire over the top for a temporary brooder.

We used a tote last time but I'm nervous my cats will get in there if they happen to get in that area ( they aren't aloud to but they are quick) what kind of dog crate? The cage one the holes are too big. 😕

I'm also a little concerned they might be getting too hot? Probably not but I worry. How long do they need to be in the brooder?

Do you have a thermometer to put on the floor under the warmest spot? They sell inexpensive ones at feed stores during chick days, and Walmart has some as well. They poop on them, but can be washed off. At 2 weeks they should be able to tolerate 80 degrees and lower. Go down 5 degrees each week, always providing a cool side in the brooder if they are hot. I have built small brooders out of 1/2 inch thick plywood or other material, 2 feet high, 2 feet wide and 4 feet long. It needs a bottom 2 ft x 4ft. Then put a screen on top made of 1/2 hardware cloth wire with a simple Frame around it. Attach it or make sure cats cannot remove it.

Back
Top Bottom