2 weeks after severe injury hen still not drinking nor eating effectively.

The little part at the tip of her upper beak that looks like a drip on the wall is actually a part of her beak.
Do you mean this spot?
upload_2019-12-3_7-4-30.png

Hi. I'm referring to the transparent-looking portion of her upper beak on the tip. Her whole upper beak has a transparent margin (like new growth) of about 1mm al the way around the perimeter of her upper beak. It's been 2 weeks since shes been able to hone her beak on rough surfaces, but now she has slabs of some flat sandstone from the yard, and I worked on her a bit with an emery board.

I count out mealworms or small distinct pieces of food that she pecks and pecks at but isn't able to pick up.

Hi. Good idea. Yes I thought that too, but what i learned about chicken vision was that the right eye was primarily for near vision enabling them to see and target bugs and very small seeds and that the left eye was for distance vision - to see predators and the like. Apparently the eyes can work independently due to their specialization and location - 300 degrees of visual field. She's got some moist, stickier type of food choices and seems to do slightly better with that.

I'm referring to the transparent-looking portion of her upper beak on the tip. Her whole upper beak has a transparent margin (like new growth) of about 1mm al the way around the perimeter of her upper beak.
That transparent portion should be fine to trim, no quick in there.
Has it grown that much since being confined, or maybe you didn't notice before?

Thursday 5 December.

Just a quick update. Miss Maisey continues s-l-o-w-l-y recover. I stopped all invasive procedures, tube feeding and even the eyedropper for fluids 48+ hours ago. Maisey was so completely and vehemently opposed to this that I decided I couldn't do this to her any more. Even securely wrapped burrito style tucked under my arm, she squawked and fought as if for her very life any attempt to open her beak. What I got was the Glaring Look that would rival a golden eagle's.

I continue to offer tempting things to eat and change them around, throughout the day and sit there with her at times just to drip extra water on what she's eating to keep her interested in the food and maybe to increase her hydration.

What seems to be working today is mashed up mackerel, half a fresh tomato (it's juicy and she is attracted to it), chicken crumbles, scattered grit in the crate, pumpkin seeds and pecans ground into meal. Yogurt, scrambled egg, millet spikes, berries, and leafy greens find their way onto the menu. 20191205_115308.jpg

Maisey was injured way back on 18 November. She's one tough little hen! I thank God; this is all His doing. I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but I'm hopeful she'll make it. Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions and your encouragement.

Maisey and Lauren

Hi gang. We need more expert advice please. i'm happy to report that Miss Maisey spent all day out in the garden adjacent to the chicken yard. She seems SO much happier outdoors, though she's far from 100%. Her eating is still 90% pointless pecking at the food and approximately 10% successful.

I left the gate between garden and chicken real estate ajar so that a few adventurous hens would come out and keep her company. One at least that I've observed has gone after her and pecked at her, but Maisey could get away and no harm was done.

I just went out to check and couldn't find Maisey who turned out to have gone into the chicken house and is on the roost. I'm debating letting her call the shots and give this a try, rejoining the flock on her terms or bringing her indoors again and letting her warm up and roost in her crate. Personally I'm leaning towards bringing her indoors as the chicken house is really too small for reintegration - not enough room for Maisey to get away if she needed to.

Another option is to bring the crate outdoors into a separate but adjacent chicken yard and set up her crate with the floor warmer inside, the roost, and the door open so that she can go in and out. I'd also throw a couple of moving blankets and a tarp on top to make it a bit warmer for her and keep her out of the weather as rain is forecasted.

Any thoughts? I know she'll just want me to leave her alone, but that doesn't feel quite right. Maybe I'm being over-protective, but she is still one skinny little chicken. not ready for prime time quite yet in my opinion, though I acknowledge that she really perked up being outdoors in her environment. Thanks! Lauren & Maisey

Last edited:
Hey thanks for your quick response. I just came in to check and was actually looking at your coop build. Nice set up! I read your stuff on ventilation which is what inspired me to leave her outdoors as we had a very nice mostly sunny day into the low 50's.

Maisey seems to have a strong constitution and seems a bit better day by day, but she still looks a bit peaked and certainly not fully recovered. Would you care to share your thoughts on returning her to the indoor crate for the night, or let her mingle and find her way back into the flock. There are 11 other hens, 5 buff orps and 6 jersey giants. Actually before the attack, I never observed any pecking order type behavior. This is the mellowest flock I've ever had.
To answer your question, no her crop isn't full. Fresh air and regular environment seems to greatly benefit her. She's been on and off the roost a couple of times to peck around and to go to the feeder. Forecast of low 30's tonight with a very good chance of precipitation. Ideas? Thanks in advance for your input. Lauren

Back
Top Bottom