2 Welsummer chicks, both roos?

Shelly80

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Southeast Kansas
I have these 2 welsummer chicks, around 5 weeks old. They were supposed to be pullets but (in my opinion) their eyeliner was never that dark and now I'm pretty sure they're both cockerels...the black on the breast and comb size. And now there looks to be a little black on #2 breast also?
I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks...still trying to hold onto #2 might still turn out to be a hen.

Yeah both look like cockerels. Sorry. Those combs are just too big but they aren't red nor do I see and wattle development so I'll hope with you that they end up being pullets

Yeah both look like cockerels. Sorry. Those combs are just too big but they aren't red nor do I see and wattle development so I'll hope with you that they end up being pullets

Thanks! I'll know for sure in a couple weeks...I'm just impatient. #1 definitely acts like a cockerel. I may just have to get a couple more with the darker eyeliner. ;)

Oh, no need to be sorry...it's not a big deal. Just means I can get 1 or 2 more Welsummer-that are hopefully pullets. My 15 "pullets" are looking to only be about half of them pullets & half of them cockerels...as far as I can tell right now.

Oh, no need to be sorry...it's not a big deal. Just means I can get 1 or 2 more Welsummer-that are hopefully pullets. My 15 "pullets" are looking to only be about half of them pullets & half of them cockerels...as far as I can tell right now.

Just be sure you don't keep too many roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters can become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in that regard.

Just be sure you don't keep too many roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens as too many roosters can become very hard physically on your hens as they mature; over-breeding them, plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in that regard.

Thanks but I'm aware of that. These aren't my first chicks. We send the extra roos to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom