2 x 4 Welded Wire warning

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WildChicken, Apr 11, 2011.

1. WildChicken

WildChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Fitzgerald, GA
    I just wanted to let folks in on what happened to me over the weekend. I had finished the run to my coop over a week ago and instead of using chicken wire I used the 2 x 4 inch 14 gauge welded wire. It turned out quite nice..........or so I thought. Anyhow, my 8 moth old shepherd/mutt cross (Trixie) lost her collar for our underground fence. So we decide to shut her up in the run until we could go Friday night to the nearest Tractor Supply to get a replacement collar. Whe we got home later that night Trixie was sitting on the back door steps happy as ever. I took the flashlight to check out where she got out and found that she just pushed on the welded wire hard enough for the cheap welds (they don't make the stuff like they used to folks) to break. Then she was able to push through and get out with no problem. It just goes to show that you can never be to careful. If Trixie can get out, then other dogs can get in.
    Here's the offender on a Sunday afternoon walk with the family.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a french kissing hog (totally unrelated)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by