2 y/o hen lethargic and not eating, barely drinking. Stays isolated…help

Has she been drinking a lot of water? Sometimes when they do, their crop regurgitates a bit of it. Is it happening every time she puts her head down, or just some of the time?

You'd have to feed her a calcium pill, if she's egg-bound. She'd probably be straining a bit more if she was, though.
Do you know if Calcium Lactate is a suitable form to use?

Thank you for the reply. Her crop is definitely squishy, like a water balloon.

Do you know if Calcium Lactate is a suitable form to use?
I don't know if you can use Calcium Lactate or not. Let's ask @azygous
I do know you can use Calcium Citrate.

Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks? If it's staying fully and squishy, I would treat for Sour Crop according to this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Getting Calcium into her is a good idea as well, she may be having problems with another soft shelled egg. It's possible that she has laid internally as previously suggested in the other posts.

Calcium lactate is not a desirable source of calcium for chickens. It only has a little more than half of the calcium that citrate has and may not be as easily digested. The calcium in calcium lactate is derived in a round about way from lactate acid and calcium carbonate. It's like the near-bear of calcium supplements. Kind of not even worth messing with.

Must be time to call in an expert or two. Hope you don't mind me asking, but @Wyorp Rock, could you come help, please? I've reached the limit of my knowledge.
I don't know if you can use Calcium Lactate or not. Let's ask @azygous
I do know you can use Calcium Citrate.

Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks? If it's staying fully and squishy, I would treat for Sour Crop according to this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Getting Calcium into her is a good idea as well, she may be having problems with another soft shelled egg. It's possible that she has laid internally as previously suggested in the other posts.
Thank you very much. I will give the calcium a try. The pills are large. Should I cut them in fours or can they swallow half at a time?

It sounds like sour or impacted crop to me. It often takes a week or more of treatment to resolve and if the crop is too full it will cause fluid to run out of the mouth with a risk of getting fluid in the lungs. Forcing vomiting can also cause them to inhale water if you aren’t careful. I would separate her from the flock and take up food and possibly water too while you are looking for other possible causes. I’d put water back down in the morning and if her crop is completely flat I’d give her some scrambled egg mixed with kefir or yogurt.

I also just observed that when she tries to peck, fluid comes out of her mouth. This is the first time she has been up and about today.
Sounds like sour crop. Try a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water in a bowl. She may not drink if she's feeling super bad so you may have to give it to her by syringe. Do this several times a day if she won't drink on her own. If she gets to feeling better, keep cracked corn away from her until she's eating normally again (corn has sugar which feeds the yeast that's causing the sour crop) Also, a tsp of olive oil in a up of warmish water helps too, if she'll drink it. Mine loved it. If that's not working, don't give up. Try getting some fluconazole from the farm store (rural king, or tractor supply) 100mg. Crush one tablet and add 20 tsp of water and give 1 tsp everyday for 7 days. I added mine to a tsp of runny cooked oatmeal and she loves it. She's back on her feed and still has 4 days to go on the med

Back
Top Bottom