2 y/o hen lethargic and not eating, barely drinking. Stays isolated…help

Michelle_Mel

Chirping
Nov 22, 2020
Northern Massachusetts
Good morning, I’m sorry in advance for the long post. I have a 2 y/o white Plymouth Rock who typically lays a jumbo egg every day. About a week ago she laid a soft egg that broke on the way out but I believe it was intact, just messy. Laid a normal one. Her next one was a semi soft one that had sort of a “tail” on one end. She seemed to be fine, acting normally in the days after, I don’t recall if she laid again though. I had noticed one of them had been having diarrhea for a couple days so I’m assuming now that was probably her. On Monday I noticed she wasn’t with the group and not acting herself. After reading the “crop issues” thread I determined that she may have doughy or sour crop considering she had all the symptoms. It is very soft and squishy. I vomited her and a good amount of fluid came out. Treated her with the recommended spice mixture. The nexy day she seemed a little perkier and ate a little. I treated her again but later in the day she went back to standing still with her tail down and not moving. She seemed to be getting worse so I decided to try mineral oil in case her crop was impacted. She’s had 3 doses and a tiny dime size soft dark mud spot was under her with a bit of white liquid beside it this morning and a couple hours later small amount of liquid came out but disappeared in the pine shavings. She won’t come out of the hen house today and is just laying facing the wall. I did check her vent and didn’t feel an egg. I’ve put out some probiotic water and gave her some Nutri-drench last night. There is always oyster shells, egg shells and grit available. They eat layer feed crumble. Her comb is bright red. She has been shaking her head at times. Hopefully I have answered the proper questions. Any suggestions on what else I should try?? Thank you

Do you have any pictures of her? How full is her crop, before she eats anything? Is it still squishy? She may have something wrong with her reproductive system, not crop, as her comb is red, like she has an egg stuck in there.

Thank you for the reply. Her crop is definitely squishy, like a water balloon. I felt inside and didn't feel anything but Im new to this so it was my first time. She finally just got up to walk a little and her vent was opening and closing as she walked. I wish I could get a picture of her poop but it's too watery. If there is a stuck egg, wha next?

Attachments

• PXL_20220630_184812490~2.jpg
    PXL_20220630_184812490~2.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220630_184647225~2.jpg
    PXL_20220630_184647225~2.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220630_184700595.jpg
    PXL_20220630_184700595.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 2
Do you have any pictures of her? How full is her crop, before she eats anything? Is it still squishy? She may have something wrong with her reproductive system, not crop, as her comb is red, like she has an egg stuck in there.
I also just observed that when she tries to peck, fluid comes out of her mouth. This is the first time she has been up and about today.

I also just observed that when she tries to peck, fluid comes out of her mouth. This is the first time she has been up and about today.
Has she been drinking a lot of water? Sometimes when they do, their crop regurgitates a bit of it. Is it happening every time she puts her head down, or just some of the time?
"What" is next if there's an egg stuck inside?
You'd have to feed her a calcium pill, if she's egg-bound. She'd probably be straining a bit more if she was, though.

No not a lot of water. None has come out the last couple of times she bent over. She mainly just stands and shuts her eyes. She doesn't seem to be straining at all.
Must be time to call in an expert or two. Hope you don't mind me asking, but @Wyorp Rock, could you come help, please? I've reached the limit of my knowledge.

I am not as knowledgeable or well versed as Wyorp Rock, but could your hen be suffering from an internal infection from when she first passed the broken egg? The crop issue could be a secondary problem related to infection.

I am not as knowledgeable or well versed as Wyorp Rock, but could your hen be suffering from an internal infection from when she first passed the broken egg? The crop issue could be a secondary problem related to infection.
Thank you very much for your help, it is appreciated very much :) Hopefully Wyorp has some insight. Poor girl :(

Back
Top Bottom